Using air nailer brads for roofing battons

is it advisable? are they made from stainless steel?

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Brads are normally 18gauge and are going to be too flimsy for roof battens, Steve.

I am dubious that even the slightly larger 16 or even 15 gauge nails are adequate.

The normal nails are galvanised, although stainless steel is available.

When I did my cabin roof a couple of years ago, I fitted the battens to strips orthogonal to them and running down the roof using 50mm x

2.something mm stainless nails in a framing nailer. The final roof is cedar shakes, which although lighter than tiles are still quite heavy. Result was very solid.

I can recommend this company

a source of nails for nailguns. If they don't have stock, they will try to get them, but you may have to buy 1000.

Reply to
Andy Hall

My roofer uses one, but I have done all mine the old fashioned way before he arrives.

Rick

Reply to
Rick