US power system

Line OutPut Transformer - used to generate the 25 or so KV from an overwind on said transformer using the horizontal flyback pulses to feed the eht rectifier valve or HV silicon diode / diode string (half wave rectification using the picture tube itself as the EHT smoothing capacitor).

If the LOPT driver circuit is powered from an insufficiently smoothed supply, the EHT will have this ripple superimposed upon it and show up as a variation in picture brightness ('Hum Bars').

Of course, you will see similar effects if the supply to the video amplifier channels is similarly afflicted. Indeed, it's likely to be the sum effect of these two sources of ripple interference by a badly filtered common source supply rail.

The early colour TV sets in the UK were hybrid valve/transistor designs where the penultimate LOPT driver valve was the last to be usurped by a very fast high voltage power transistor (the final irreplacable valve being the picture tube itself).

The low voltage psu for the transistor stages could easily be designed to eliminate mains ripple, leaving just the LOPT valve driver HT perhaps still relying on an older style less than perfect filtered supply.

I suppose the later hybrid designs could have made good use of high voltage power transistor to regulate the 300 odd volt HT supply and eliminate even this residual source of 'hum' (or perhaps, more likely now I think about it, an SMPSU was used where the only high voltage fast semiconductors required would be the fast switching rectifier diodes).

Reply to
Johny B Good

Why would that be a problem?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

And the percentage cost of smoothing the DC for it would be the same as if it was a quarter of a kilowatt.

They looked a lot worse than 100 missing lines.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

If TVs have always locked onto the sync pulses, what on earth did the hold controls do?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Agreed, but it would be a very large sum

They looked bad when we saw them in the original standard. Nothing to do with missing lines.

Reply to
charles

They were in the circuitry which separted out the line & field syncs from the received signal. Things drifted.

Reply to
charles

Adjust the free running oscillators involved so that they were within locking range of the sync pulses. They were deemed to require operator intervention in the early days to compensate for temperature drift and aging effects (also, it meant that they could be fine trimmed to improve lock on weak / noisy signals).

Modern TV sets from about 2 decades ago lost these 'operator controls' due to improvements in sync circuit designs rendering such adjustments redundent. CRT TVs and computer monitors retained them purely as an on the board alignment pot or two to allow a service engineer to compensate for aging effects.

Such analogue adjustments no longer exist with flat panel displays simply because the pixel addressing is entirely digital and modern synthesised TV tuners can reliably extract the sync pulses on analogue signals (of academic interest only for UK broadcast TV now that analogue broadcasting has ended - but still useful for some amateur fast scan TV reception or foreign DX analogue TV activities).

DVB-T encodes the picture content such that any such synchronisation information is just part of the video data stream. Ignoring the analogue tuner feature which still exists in all but perhaps the latest TV sets, a modern flat panel TV is just a dedicated computer with an embedded OS that processes the media streams in pretty much the same way as a PC would when playing an MPG video file (except for the inclusion of the FEC overhead in the broadcast stream).

Reply to
Johny B Good

Yes know what the olde LOPT'y did but odd that smoothing ripple as you describe. Can't remember ever seeing that but that might be the sets I worked on most were Phillips Mono and G8 and G11 colour chassis so I suppose they must have been another make perhaps?...

Never recall seeing that either but what we did see a lot was a heater cathode leak on the frame output stage of several TV's one Phillips chassis was very good at that so they put a fusible resistor or two in the cathode line to earth and they often came off with the resultant over current then the bypass cap was left to take the load which it did till it couldn't take it no more, it then spew its guts over the PCB far and wide and if you didn't clean that off, all of it, then other interesting things happened;!...

Never did see many of those, Philips G6 a few off and the K7 chassis a noted excellent performer with superb sound:)..

After that it was BU 205's IIRC?..

In the G8 it was a thyristor and can't remember now what it was in the G11 all getting to be a long timer ago;!!..

Reply to
tony sayer

e:

rote:

If something costs you =A31,000 to buy, and you have to spend an extra t= enner to make it work better, you wouldn't say that was much. Equally, if something costs you =A3100,000,000 to buy and you have to sp= end an extra million, you also wouldn't say that was much. They are bot= h 1%.

Something other than 100 lines less caused NTSC to suck?

-- =

After pleading no contest to burglarizing Britney Spears's home, four me= n received three years of probation. All they had to do was sign an agreement not to reveal what they stole f= rom the house or how many batteries it took.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

[Snip]

according to some NTSC stood for Never Twice the Same Color.

When there was a US director for the UK content of an American program, he didn't like the accurate flesh tones that came out of our cameras: "They've paid for color, give them color!"

etc

Reply to
charles

How would you control the level of DC lamps in the '60s?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Salt bath was popular in theatres in the late 50's if a rheostat worked out too large

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Must have been interesting controlling the levels from the lighting control room? A series of taps rather than faders?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I first moved to the US in the 1970s/80s, that was pretty accurate, there were some really lurid images to be seen, in stark contrast to what I had left behind here.

Reply to
Davey

Did they not have chopper circuits then?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Ah yes I'd forgotten their colour encoding was dodgy. It's inside one of the other signals, or seperate and not synced right, or something. The opposite of what PAL does.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

In a few seconds, you could use a search engine to find out the differences between NTSC and PAL.

Reply to
John Williamson

You must read fast.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Both NTSC and PAL encode the colour some MHz away from the main carrier, IIRC. The difficulty is to define what the phase of the colour is, so with NTSC you have to have the user do it with a tint control knob. PAL neatly overcomes that by inverting the sense of the phase for alternate lines, hence what PAL stands for. I think PAL also uses a bit more bandwidth so with NTSC there's more chance of getting the edge of the colour signal mixed up with the b/w part of the picture, noticeable if there is a lot of detail. IME it also mixes with the sound carrier if you used a cheap telly in the US. But it seems that people don't notice defects of that sort to the same extent that I do - sound on vision or the reverse, the colour turned up full, horrible pin-cushion or barrel distortion, etc.

Fortunately most of that is in the past now. They were showing the 1985 snooker world final yesterday, its amazing how crap the camera optics must have been then - lots of flare and chromatic aberration that you just don't get now.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Down to how good the filtering was in the receiver some were good, some some weren't too bright;!..

Depending on how good that was too intercarrier sound did work well if designed and adjusted right otherwise "intercarrier buzz"..

Problem is a lot don't know any better;(..

Well we paid a lorra money for this 'ere telly so we want our moneys worth;!..

I remember watching some pix from the Olympics must have been around

1972 or thereabouts on a Philips K7 TV, superb pix they were too colour difference drive on the set always seem to have the edge over RGB... >
Reply to
tony sayer