Updating Win7 to Win10

no need to wipe your ssd, or perform a clean install, just do an upgrade install, mostly it'll survive

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yep.

My strategy is partly safety and partly good housekeeping, but if you already have the original disk for safety, just run the automatic upgrade and see what happens.

FWIW Thunderbird really is quite good, I would recommend using it rather than Outlook Express.

Reply to
Pancho

Be cautious about proprietary backup processes which back up parts of the PC to a humungous backup file. You would need the same program on the recipient PC (ie after upgrade to Win10) to extract any files that hadn't been preserved.

I tend to use Microsoft SyncToy (other similar programs are available, such as Robocopy) which make a simple file-and-folder backup of selected directories, so you can do a simple copy of selected files or folders from the backup drive, without needing special software to extract them from the amorphous single backup file.

As a tip, open Control Panel | Programs and Features and screenprint the list of all the installed programs, so you know what to put back if the upgrade doesn't preserve it. Also take a screenshot of the desktop so the layout of the icons that you have carefully arranged (if you're anything like me!) can be restored. Maybe also find how your browser stored saved username/password for sites, and either copy the relevant files or screenprint a list of them.

Make sure you have a copy of all the email files and folders in case the upgrade screws them up. Likewise make sure you know email settings (POP/SMTP servers, ports, encryption method, username/password) in case you need to re-make anything.

In short: assume that the upgrade process will make a real hash of the upgrade, leaving the PC in a worse state than it started - and be pleasantly surprised if it works OK ;-)

Reply to
NY

You need about 10GB free... you might get away with a bit less.

Reply to
John Rumm

I would start with the media creation tool. If doing more than one machine, then you have it make a bootable USB drive rather than telling it to update the machine its on (it will save having to download it multiple times). Having said that, if you have fast broadband, then you may not care (it downloads about 3.5G).

Prior to running it, make sure you are up to date with windows update, and there are none pending on next reboot. If you have optional drivers than can be updated by windows update, then let it do those.

Run the disk cleanup tool, an let it delete all the temporary files etc.

Once you are ready, boot from the USB drive, and follow the prompts. Skip entering the serial number.

If you want to use the media creation tool directly, then running it from an admin level command prompt with the command line:

MediaCreationTool2004 /Action UpgradeNow

will get shot of some of the interactive bits - basically just asking you to accept the license terms and then getting on with it.

I find with the prep, it takes about 10 to 30 mins of my time per machine. The process (with decent broadband, i5 CPU and solid state drive) probably about 40 mins to an hour to complete. Can be quite a bit longer on slower hardware.

It is successful most of the time, and when it does fail it has always done so gracefully so far, and restarted back in Win7.

Most of the failures are things like disk space, or somewhat messed up windows update states. Deleting the whole

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Then re-running windows update will fix most of those. On more obscure hardware (older laptops etc[1]), deleting the display driver and reverting to the windows basic display driver before doing the update can help.

The last gottcha I find now and then is on machines with insufficient space in the system reserved partition - it needs about 300MB or so of space. I have posted a procedure for fixing that here in the past.

[1] I did have one dell laptop that booted normally into 10, but then gave a completely blank screen when it switched to the final desktop screen. I found it would however let you plug in an external monitor and could switch to that ok. At that point I had to flash the BIOS to a later version to fix the internal screen problem.
Reply to
John Rumm

The CD arrived this morning. Instructions with it says to turn off upgrades on the choices early on. Which I did. It then stopped saying the Realtek Bluetooth Radio driver had to be updated before it could proceed. Then spent ages trying to find the new driver for my laptop without success. Including at the HP and Realtek sites.

Turned on auto upgrade and it is now installing. ;-) So I'd guess it found it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

But back everything up at least twice and to independent media. And ideally verify that the saved backup data matches the original.

If something goes wrong then Murphy's law applies and the damage will inevitably hit the most irreplaceable data that you have on the disk.

Reply to
Martin Brown

One thing I have noticed is that the media creation tool uses the latest version of windows 10 which can be a time saver as all the security updates are rolled into it.

This then has two benefits.

The first is that you do not need to waste time downloading and installing windows 10 updates after installing WIn 10.

The second is that if you install older versions of windows 10, there is a security risk until you have downloaded and installed the updates. By using the latest updated version of win 10 form the start reduces the risk.

Reply to
No Name

This. Don't f*ck about upgrading in place. New disk and start from scratch. Reinstall only what you use when you need it instead of curating a sack of cack software of questionable vintage and security status.

If your laptop came pre-installed with Win7 (i.e Dell or HP or Lenovo etc.) your licence will be in the BIOS already and W10 should re-licence itself when it reboots after installing drivers etc.

Reply to
mm0fmf

The free version of VueScan watermarks all its pages, doesn't it? ie. it's of no intrinsic use except to get you to buy the full version.

I would be keen to try out VueScan more (it can work under Linux, and that would allow me to ditch needing a VM to run my scanner SW). But that model I find irritating.

Reply to
jkn

Could you rotate the paper, do several scans, and recover the bits not watermarked ? :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I'm not in the habit of installing software I'll not use. ;-)

The upgrade CD I bought came with a key, which wasn't needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I think he was talking about the 'shovelware' that often comes with a laptop bought though the std retail network.

They come with all sorts of crud pre-installed, both makers own utilities (that few ever use) and other stuff, like Norton AV as a way of reducing the price.

Whenever I've had to replace a failed hard drive for someone, I rarely re-install (download or an extra utilities CD, if they have kept it that is) anything, yet the PC works fine (and often faster). The only issue is if it came with the likes of Office installed, and they say they need it. Libre Office/OO is often a useable replacement, as long as they were only using it for the odd letter or the kids homework.

Mind you, if they have kids in full time education they can often get MS Office free in any case.

I really don't get that .... same as a mate who has 'bought' Linux DVD's that you can download and put on DVD / USB the same day yourself?

Possibly just as well, as you never know if / when it get's blacklisted. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I switched from Outlook Express to Thunderbird many years ago (10+?), at the time the usability was about the same. In the interim Thunderbird has improved a lot, Outlook Express hasn't changed.

Reply to
Pancho

I did two laptop machines in March, a Win7 pro and a Win 7 Home edition (actually a Netbook). Both OEM so came supplied with the OS.

The procedure I followed and itworked on both with no particular messing was:

1) Take a backup first. Personally I like Clonezilla but the free Macrium Reflect also would work.

2 Ceate a USB with the Windows 10 Media Creation disk

3 Boot into Win7 as usual on the machine you want to convert (I won't use the term upgrade).

4) Browse to and run the Setup on the USB Media Creation disk.

All programs, data etc and licensing maintained.

Can't recall how long it took, couple of hours. I wire the ethernet connection on jobs like this.

Good luck.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Don't need a key for Win 10 anyway. You can download the iso install it and use it without having to pay to "activate" it. Some of the personalisation doesn't work and there is a light overlay in the bottom right corner "Activate Windows" otherwise it fuctions exactly the same as an "activated" Windows 10.

There is also a "bare bones" Windows 10 out there somewhere that may not include concertina or the nagging to "login into windows" and/or one dive etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Go to YouTube and search for something like your Subject Line above.

You will find at least several videos. Watch a few, eliminating those who look untrustworthy or do not speak English properly. You will find substantial agreement between the others; do what they say.

One warning - sometimes the process sticks for a long time at fetching updates 46%, as related in another thread. Leave it for several hours if so; I repeatedly found 2 hours not long enough, but on the last occasion I got distracted, and by 3 hours it had finished that stage and wanted permission to proceed.

Of course, you could try a Google search for microsoft windows update 7 to 10 and then a poke around - with luck, you'll find

which is where the YouTubers all said to go. Then JRTI, as Elon Musk would say, after IMB.

Reply to
dr.j.r.stockton

Mostly good news.

First being I actually quite like Win10. Should have done it years ago.

The desktop I use as part of the AV system upgraded OK - after a bit of a fight.

But the workshop one, not. I'd guess the motherboard is simply too old, although Goggle says the processor OK for 64 bit Win 10

It's never used for gaming. I'm happy with 1920 x 1080 on the 24" monitor. But:-

It has a sound card with balanced in and outs and all the pro digital formats. Handy for me. I'd guess a new card that does that, and arm and a leg. I also make use of the serial port (RS232) for MegaSquirt.

So what would the team recommend for a new motherboard? ATX. Already have a 1T SSD as the main disc. And how much memory? And where from?

Not found Asus that reliable. Is there a better make?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Never had any problem with any of mine and the upgrades have been for more performance with a better cpu, not because of any failure.

The only one that did fail was a Gigabyte.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

Hi Dave,

Long time no speak!

How are you getting on with your upgrade?

Or are you still at the planning stage?

I was going to DIY mine, and bought some bits (Half GB SSD and a usb to SATA thingy (didn?t work well with W7, but has been rock solid on W10)

But it?s 20 years since I did SOHO Stuff on a regular basis (I?m still a second line computer bodger - second class in the public sector, but it?s a different world).

So I got a friend to do the upgrade In exchange for a fistful of beer tokens. He also found enough second hand RAM to double it (now 8GB).

I also bought some goop for the top of the cpu in case the blue screening I?d been getting on W7 was due to the old stuff failing.

ANother friend had suggested cloning the HDD onto the SSD and doing an in place upgrade (or whatever they call them), but my Friend favoured a clean install. I don?t know how much time he did or didn?t take finding drivers for stuff (maybe it all just worked).

I found there was PLENTY For me to do once it came back, Reinstalling Apps and drivers, etc. I?ve not managed to install Norton 360 yet (as W Defender said NO, and I?ve not had time to try again. Hopefully defender is as good???

Pretty much all the stuff I?ve installed so far has worked, and it?s so much quicker and reliable.

The only thing I gave up on was an old Trust webcam. Maybe I?d have cracked it if I?d persevered, but I threw the towel in and put it on eBay (with a health warning).

Fortunately I was able to borrow one from work (I wfh now due to C 19, so I use it on both my desktop and my work laptop (aren?t docking stations wonderful!).

Then my daughter came to me as she needed some way to get an additional video input to her Mac. We were both surprised her digital camera wouldn?t do this without extra hardware, so I?ve not seen ?my? webcam for a week or so now. I did wonder if I shouldn?t have sold the Trust, maybe that would have worked? But it will be a short term loan, as She is going to buy a higher res webcam when the top peoples shop have them in stock (her mother thinks eBay and Amazon are tools of the devil (I have been sold crap on eBay a few times, and they are the transactions she remembers despite all the other stuff being flawless, cheap And very green (second hand, no manufacturing costs / materials and very little miles transport compared with buying the equivalent item in JL)

Anyways, how is your upgrade going?

Reply to
cpvh