Updating Win7 to Win10

A friends upgraded laptop just crashed, he?s not that technical.

It?s reverted to W8, and he?s locked out of his hotmail.

He?s also poor / tight.

All the official sources of help either want megabucks ?you?ll need a new licence / new laptop sir, £129 or £300!

And all he can get out of Hotmail is ?you will have to wait 30 days?

I put him onto yet another friend of mine who does SOHO, But he baulked at £90 to get out of jail.

He is going to take it to a clued up friend who is local to him.

Reply to
cpvh

I take it Win10 declined to install for board compatibility reasons?

I'd just continue to run Win7 until it dies if you have expensive dedicated hardware that has no equivalent drivers on Win10.

Worth asking around in case anyone knows of third party drivers for it or a port onto Linux that would allow you to continue to use it.

Do the sums first to decide if it is worth the time and hassle.

My last PC I got from a gaming PC maker and after deleting the high end graphics card entirely I got a system built for about the retail cost of the components. They took some convincing that I really knew what I wanted. The on chip graphics of Pentiums since the 4000 graphics engine are actually marginally faster for 2D graphics than high end cards!

The only thing I had to do was tame the fan noise with a few silicone washers. The cooling is vastly over specified CPU presently 40C.

Reply to
Martin Brown

When you say "not", was that it failed to upgrade with an error, or refused to try with a warning about some component of the system?

(I ask because I have not yet found a machine I could not upgrade - although some take more work than others)

Serial is ok under win 10. So long as any drivers required for megasquirt are.

From my experience, I have found ASUS to be one of the top tier motherboard makers, and routinely buy them as my first choice for my own machines. Failures are IME very rare. Having said that, there are plenty to choose from that can be ok as well. Asrock are ok, and Gigabyte used to be pretty good, although I have not used any recently.

Reply to
John Rumm

8 or 8.1 (8 is not supported, but you can upgrade to 8.1 as a free upgrade first)
Reply to
John Rumm

That's why you do a *full* backup before the install.

Yes, Windows 10 has a revert.

No, it is not "byte perfect". Stuff could break.

If you saw the amount of stuff it's doing to revert, you'd understand why it's a miracle it still boots. Let alone Hotmail work.

It's the responsibility of the technical people, to teach the non-technical how to do backups. Because it means less repair work for you later :-) The tight people know where they can get help.

Like at my local computer store. Dude comes in, is asking any clerk he can find "how to fix his cable modem". Staff tell him "Phone Rogers tech support". Guy won't leave them alone. Won't leave the store unless he gets sure-fire free tech support. So yes, there are those people who know exactly where to find "help", and will rapidly wear out their welcome.

Paul

Reply to
Paul