Updating these wardrobes!

Hi all, This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have absolutely no idea where to start!

Thank you for any replies :-)

Vicky x

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: image.jpg | |Download:
VC25

Well pictures would help.

Reply to
harry

Some sort of gold coloured trim around the edge to match the handles?

Reply to
bod

I can't see these pictures. Not pikey are they????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Like the one in the link, you mean?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Get rid of the handles and you have an empty canvas. My own favourite is to pin lengths of small beading to give the illusion of panelled doors. Paint the inner parts a different colour? World's your oyster

Reply to
stuart noble

depends what they are made of.

you can if the doors are flat, stick wallpaer on them and add faux framed edges, or take them off and spray with car paint. Metallic flake pink for a 70's glam rock effect...

Or replace them entirely...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pics won't show in a text-only newsgroup. Put them up in:

If you have a website, a temporary folder (that is preferably one not crawled by search engines).

In a public folder in Dropbox

One of the free on-line picture hosting sites like Photobucket.

She tried.

Reply to
Java Jive

Reply to
Java Jive

Worked fine for me using Thunderbird.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Unless I am very much mistaken, those are white melamine. If so, the choices are either to replace them or paint them. Replacement is quite expensive, so I suggest that you google for "Painting melamine doors". You'll find various articles saying that it's quite hard to get a decent finish.

Bear in mind that a big flat expanse of doors in, say, blue won't look much better than they do in white.

Putting some sort of panelling on helps break it up. My preference would be to get some MDF squares pre-cut and screw them on. The trouble with beading is that the corners are a bit tricky without tools to mitre them at 45 degrees.

You need to decide how much you are prepared to spend, really, bot in terms of time and money.

Geoff.

Reply to
GB

At the risk of being sexist, it's worth a look here

GB

Difficult to say without knowing what your style is, how good an artist you are or how skilled you may be at DIY. You have had a few other suggestions. I have no particular problem with large areas of white melamine, but, if I wanted to change them, I would probably paint a copy of a Mucha or Dali painting that I liked onto them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

A few clues as to what you consider to be your style would be helpful.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Not via a server which does not carry the pic, though!

Reply to
polygonum

It comes through here (The german server) as a link, and clicking on the diybanter.com URL opens the .jpg file in Firefox as normal.

Of course, if your server strips URLs out of messages....

The only strange thing about the OP is the layout of the link.

Reply to
John Williamson

One of the suggestions on Mumsnet was for decoupage, which just means cutting stuff out of magazines and pasting it on. I suspect that would look far better than a badly-done paint job, so a lot depends on the OP's skill levels.

Reply to
GB

I made mistake and thought it had been embedded and all I was seeing was a useless link. I was wrong. As you say.

Reply to
polygonum

As I read that, my mind converted "decoupage" into "décolletage" - and imagined the doors covered by fake cleavages and sexy bras...

Sad.

Reply to
polygonum

Indeed. A cafe I use regularly had, until it changed hands, an atrociously painted mural on one wall. The new owners wisely painted it over and hung photographs instead.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar