Updating these wardrobes!

Any of the following: Replace the handles, eg with wood or steel Paint the melamine - I don't recommend it unless you can do a decent job spray painting Veneer the melamine with veneer or 4mm ply, and varnish/stain/oil the result. Add framing onto the front round the edges - takes very accurate cutting to look good. Buy new doors to fit, theyre not expensive - you need to be able to sort the hinges

The simplest cheapest is just to replace handles.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You don't make it clear whether it's just the outside of the wardrobes that offends you. Does their inside storage (which I'd guess is a rail only in the lower area and maybe shelves in the upper ones) do what you want?

Depending on the sizes you might be able to remove the cupboard doors and the frame that supports them, then use the carcases (ie the internal parts) of eg some of IKEA's wardrobes (or other cupboards) to fit into the gap, thus giving you in essence an IKEA wardrobe recessed into the wall. That needn't be too expensive. Whether it would work well really depends on how close in size the gap your wardrobes take up is to the sizes of the IKEA units.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Thank you for the replies. There is definitely lots to think about there!

Apologies to those who couldn't see the picture, I did attach one to my post so I did try :-)

I'll do some research into some of your suggestions!

VC25

Not sexist to suggest mumsnet. I'm a bloke and find useful stuff on there, especially money-saving tips.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

I bought the wavy mirrors from Ikea and fixed them on my wardrobe. In one room they are long and thin, the other the wider mirrors that screw on

Mrs Bonk

I am part way through updating a plain white door of my own. See links below.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Nicely done, Mike.

Does anybody know whether it's possible to find ready-made versions of the little panels you've made? That would make it much easier for people who aren't any good at mitring. I have no idea what to search for.

Reply to
GB

B&Q used to sell them, but at their price I was better off buying the moulding and a mitre saw set. I use one like this.

Cutting accurate mitres in small moulding is very easy with this tool.

They are £22 from tool station but I am sure I paid a lot less at Aldi for mine.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

With small beading you hardly need to be spot on with 45 deg cuts. More important to get matching pieces the same length. I'd do it by eye

I'm sure I'd find something that ran at 45 degs to something else without spending money

Reply to
stuart noble