Updating HP all-in-one PC from HD to SSD

The listing is wrong. I just measured one of mine, after pulling out the HP server caddy that it is comfortably sitting in. It is 14.6cm long. It really does just drop into the space that would normally be taken by a

3.5 inch drive, with 2mm clearance at the end in the case of my HP caddy.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

I just checked the Sabrent website. The dimensions given in the Amazon listing are for the box that the adapter comes in, not the adapter itself.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

OK, thanks.

Could you confirm that it has a combined sata+power plug and socket built in (socket for the SSD, plug to mimic a 3.5 sata drive ?. If so are the connections gold-flashed too ?

Reply to
Andrew

Yes, it has the combined sata+power connector like the one on the end of a 3.5inch drive. The contacts at the end look gold-coloured. I can't check the ones in the internal socket without removing the drive. The frame is die-cast - probably aluminium. At just under £10 for free delivery tomorrow you can't go far wrong. Send it back if you don't like it. I've fitted these in HP servers and Microservers of Gen7 and Gen8 and in Fujitsu servers.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

I've not tried one of these but, having done bit error rate testing on SATA cables (used for other purposes) it's remarkable how bad a SATA cable needs to be before a PC stops working.

I had one (Maplin) cable which worked, but the receiver would detect a link even when the other end was waving in the breeze - it must have been crosstalk from the transmit pair going the other way.

I wouldn't be too worried about an adapter mucking up the signal unless it's really badly designed, although perhaps worth testing it out within the returns period just in case.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Smartmontools lets you read the number of interface errors recorded by the drive. Look for the "udma crc error rate". John

Reply to
John Walliker

On first look I missed that they had a feed through connection to get round the problem of the drive offset. Looks like a decent solution.

Reply to
John Rumm

I did find a report, for an adapter with a passive board in it, like the HP, and the owner of the new item, did have an "error storm" on his hands.

With the right skill set, you can foul up simple things.

As for SATA cables, if you bend them enough to put a "kink" in the cable, that can be enough to cause errors too. Not always, but sometimes.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

What I find remarkable is that superspeed usb works at all, especially with type A connectors. There must be massive impedance mismatches at the connectors. I know there are equalisers, but even so... John

Reply to
John Walliker

It's true. It is amazing what seems childs play today, that was very hard to do back in the day. One project at work was using Teflon dielectric (but only for some outer layer signal routing, the entire board was not Teflon). And another project, the designer used an air line to connect two high speed chips. Today, those signals are run through PCB (although needing signal boosters if run for longer distances). And motherboards still don't have Teflon in them.

It's almost like impedance doesn't matter or something :-) And loss with frequency, immaterial.

FPGAs offer a glimpse of the future. And there is still eye opening.

Paul

Reply to
Paul