update - new install / boiler quickie thread

The odds are we`d go for a Worcester Bosch, and from lurking around here= =20

> for a while they seem to have a fairly good reputation

Got the quote back...

=A32100 for a Worcester Bosch 28Si2 =A32700 for a Worcester Bosch 30HE

Not sure I can justify an extra =A3600 bearing in mind the level of=20 savings, 0.5 lpm hike in DHW flow, and the potential lifespan of the=20 install / time before moving house (if it ever happens...)

Thoughts ?

--=20 Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email

  • old email address "btiruseless" abandoned due to worm-generated spam *

Colin Wilson

The difference in the list price of the boilers is about £250 + Vat. (If I have correctly identified the boilers in the Plumb Center 'Trade Price' catalogue. Where is the extra money going? Provision of condensate drain?

The government wants to make all new boilers condensing, see:

Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

A number of factors:

- more care with corrosion prevention - e.g. stainless steel heat exchanger (although I believe that the WB ones are a different alloy)

- condensate drain

- smaller production volume

- development cost recovery

- the market will stand a higher price

At the point when legislation dictates minimum efficiencies of 86%, older products largely disappear. Manufacturers might as well milk that cash cow for as long as they can and keep condensing boiler prices higher.

When the old ones do go, then production volumes increase and costs decrease on condensing models. the manufacturers can be heroes by making a small price reduction and the rest of what will appear to be a price hike in the general market will be blamed on the government as a stealth tax.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I noticed a similar difference at discountedheating

That may, depending on how it was done, be a potential problem - I have=20 no conventional soil stack (the soil pipe is concreted into the floor of=20 a ground floor extension), and the only way I could see them being able=20 to route it would be...

1) via external wall down a shared passageway to the drain about 18 foot=20 away (with associated freezing problems) 2) into guttering that collects the water off a flat-roofed extension=20 (not sure on the rules for this, whether it would be allowed - it all=20 runs to the same foul water drain) 3) run internally and connected via a connector to the existing toilet -=20 this wouldn`t necessarily a hard run to do, considering the DHW would=20 have to take exactly the same route.

I know - the wife just wants heat, but i`m sceptical about the hike in=20 cost vs payback over the typical lifespan of a CH system (or cost=20 relative to moving house well before any savings take the difference into= =20 account)

--=20 Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email

  • old email address "btiruseless" abandoned due to worm-generated spam *

Colin Wilson

Not a good plan - too long unless you run it in waste pipe with a good slope.

I don't know of anything specific but not a good practice I think.

That would be reasonable. A separate trap for it would be a good idea between boiler and waste.

Over the lifetime of a CH system, assuming you look after the CH system and don't shorten its life by not filling with inhibitor, you should get the incremental payback easily.

If your horizon is two years, possibly not.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

IIRC, it is explicitly allowed by the instructions. Mine takes this route. Any other route would actually be more likely to freeze, as the pipe would be run externally for a much longer run. Obviously, the recommended route is an internal drain, but this is sometimes just not possible.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle