Update: Dominion Elliot Supreme Woodworking Machine

Some of you may recall me asking for information regarding a Dominion Elliot Supreme combination woodworking machine. Well the rebuild is pretty well finished . Here are links to photos of my machine. All I have to do now is sort out the motor wiring and re-fit the saw bench sawdust collector and side panel.
As was:
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/awemawson/Dominion%20Before /
As is:
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/awemawson/Dominion%20Before/Dominion%20After /
It is quite a beast, weighing in at 1.6 tons, with a 16" x 9" planer thicknesser, a 24" circular saw, and a 20" radial arm saw.
AWEM

Nice job and not that long since you were asking IIRC.
. . . and you're right, it's monster :-)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Nice work Andrew. Just don't let Paul Daniels use it.
Baz
On 31/01/2012 15:55, Andrew Mawson wrote:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/awemawson/Dominion%20Before/Dominion%20After />
Impressive transformation... looks almost new!
What did you paint it with BTW?
and what did you treat the tables with?
--
Cheers,

John.

"John Rumm" wrote in message

This particular machine was re-built at some time by Dominion probably in the early 1970's and it had been sprayed in a mid green Hammerite, so rather reluctantly I decided to use the same. However Hammerite have sold out to ICI and changed the colour range and formulation. Latest stuff is white spirit based and not very tough and a different colour! I managed to find an industrial supplier of 'hammer finish' that not only matched the colour but is xylene based like the original. I sprayed it fairly thinly to reduce the hammer effect as far as possible. The castings had been heavily filled to make good imperfections, but I didn't re-do this filling, leaving it 'as cast war finish'. The tables were cleaned up with a wire brush and elbow grease and as with all the metalwork covered in a rust inhibiting wax polish. The steel parts were de-rusted by soaking in citric acid for a few days, most were recoverable but some were re-made. The radial arm saw safety cover casting was broken, but I tracked down (thanks Bob & Hans) a slightly earlier model that was being scrapped and modified it to suit.
AWEM
On Jan 31, 5:06pm, "Andrew Mawson"

Would you be ok with this account and those pictures being put on the wiki? It could surely encourage others to do similar, and explain how.
NT
"NT" wrote in message

Sure if you feel others would benefit. Although a large undertaking this was a relatively trivial rebuild as being a woodworking machine was low tech and relatively low precision. You should see the various lathes, milling machines both manual and CNC that I've done over the years !! Currently working on a CNC wire erroder. Next on the list is my Case 300 trencher as having laid half a mile of water pipe on the farm with it it needs to go back on ebay looking pretty! Then there's the Fanuc Arc Mate welding robot somewhere down the list. I just hope I live long enough to complete my list of hobby projects!!!!!!
AWEM
On Jan 31, 9:48pm, "Andrew Mawson"

Very, very impressive indeed. Well done that man.
On Jan 31, 9:48pm, "Andrew Mawson"

Well, if you want to put pics and an account of those jobs too on the wiki, I'm sure there are folk out there that just need such a nudge to fixing old kit up themselves. Its an effective way to get well kitted for diy, and similar sort of jobs for a living etc. And of course it opens the way to acquire tools people could never afford to buy new.
Cheers,
NT
On Jan 31, 9:48pm, "Andrew Mawson"

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Woodworking_machine_rebuild
I did some minor reordering to get it into chronological order. If there's anything needs putting right just let me know.
NT
Andrew Mawson wrote:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/awemawson/Dominion%20Before/Dominion%20After /
Well batted, that man!
Looks like lots of elbow grease went into it >> :)
--
Paul - xxx
Mark cavendish Danny Hart
On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 3:55:29 PM UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:

hi had this model restored it ,gave it to a friend 15 years ago h he now wants rid of it so thinking of getting it back ,need to concrete the shed floor first
wrote in message

Certainly a very useful machine if you have the space. Mine isn't used every day or even every week, but when I use it it is SO useful
Andrew Mawson (those pictures above are of my machine)