Mortise machine update

A couple of weeks ago I was having problems cutting mortises in pine using a brand new Delta machine. Seems as though the stock setup is not real good for pine, but no problem for hardwoods.

Since it was up to 30 degrees today, I decided to go out and do some work. I marked out the locations for the 1/4" mortises, but this time, I drilled a series of 3/16" holes first. They I went back to the machine and finished the cuts. No clogging, good cuts. I did a couple in maple with no pre-drilling just to prove a point and it gave me clean cuts.

I also cut 32 tenons using the Delta jig. Sure beats doing it the way I was before. Accurate and a good fit. Of the 32 joints, a few will have to be fit a little, but the others just slipped together, just like in the movies. Or on Norm's show.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well, I went out today and paid $99 for the Harbor Freight Mortiser and did about a dozen 1/2" mortises in yellow pine with no trouble at all and I sure didn't predrill any holes. Just bear down on it. Are you sure you had your cleanout shoot pointing the right way?

I use a tall auxilliary plywood fence with the board and a c-clamp. Works great and cost nothing.

Reply to
Bruce

Not a question of bearing down, the chips clog at the base of the chisel and build up on the bit blocking the flow to the cleanout. . My guess is that I'd do better with a better or at least a better sharpened bit. I have to work on the proper way to get a sharp cutting edge.

I've not tried the larger sizes either, they may work better. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You are aware of those little cone shaped sharpeners that Lee Valley sells? Takes a drill press and a drill press vice to really do it right, but they work very well.

Lee Valley item 77J81.20, bottom of the page.

Reply to
Swingman

Hey Edwin glad to hear of the success with your machine. I learned something that I'm almost embarrassed to admit. I just found out yesterday Delta makes two versions of these bench top mortisers. Guess what. I of course got the crappy one. The MM something or other is the model number. Cant recall off hand. Anyway the biggest differences I can see from pictures are the base is much smaller on mine and the switch is different altogether. The head (here's the tricky part) is ALOT further back from the fence and the hold down than on my machine. I mean ALOT. That's why mine hits and others didn't. Contemplating returning it. The other unit is only about $40 more.

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

Sounds like Delta might of copied Jet for a change.

Sorry to hear you got snookered on the model, but glad you got it figured out. I personally would crowbar the wallet for the extra $40 and get the better Model 14-651. The reason I say this is because these benchtop mortising machines, while capable of doing the job, are right on the borderline of being the ideal tool, so you need all the help you can get. IMO, the Delta 14-651 had the best head assembly going when I was looking for one and I wouldn't hesitate to spend the extra money for that alone.

Reply to
Swingman

Great advice there Swingman, thats what Im going to do. I just got back from B'Lowes and or course they dont have the better unit so Im looking now. Theres a place that carries Delta machinery about 40 miles from me so tomorrow I may take a drive and check them out. If my overworked brain could remember the name of the place I would call first but I cant remember...........Oh where oh where has my youth gone...........*sigh*

Jim