UK source of 1/4" Whitworth threaded inserts for wood?

Any ideas for the above?

I need some inserts I can screw into wood, internally threaded to take 1/4" Whit.

I can find furniture fittings that are designed to screw in, but are all metric.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric Dockum

Some whit threads are as near as dammit the same as some metric ones. For a low tech application. Have you tried to see if they 'fit'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You could try getting hold of some 6mm inserts and running a 1/4@ whit tap through them ... that would be nearest.

Alternatively take a look at Ironmongery Direct ... they have a huge catalogue and may have what you want.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The application is for a range of things to fit on a camera tripod. I believe Whit thread is coarser than the metric equivalent and is a de facto standard in camera equipment and accessories, there being 2 sizes, 1/4" and 1/3", both Whit.

I have rummaged in the metric box, and although similar od is there, the threads are different. I could change the tripod thread, I suppose, but then end up with a non standard unit that doesn't fit the cameras.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Dockum

Hi,

You might have better luck searching for 'BSW' inserts (British Standard Whitworth).

This might do:

Or if you need quite a few:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Rethread a metric one, or order some 1/4 unc from the states which will work with most pod's as they tend to be a bit wide on the tol's.

Reply to
Badger