1/4" threaded inserts in UK

In order to build assorted camera gadgets, one often runs into the hallowed 1/4" x 20 thread.

This is (actually) the old Whitworth standard, but it's also used in all (smaller than medium format) size cameras.

Since the UK has followed Europe, and most connectors use metric threads, I am struggling to find a source for these:

the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts, threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source for anything similar in the UK with sane prices (including postage)?

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

A thread adapter for the camera maybe?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That link do international orders so its worth emailing them for a quote on selected items.

Sometimes it works out cheaper to buy from the US than the UK

Reply to
George

The 1/4 -20 UNC thread used in camera mounts is an Unified National Coarse thread having a 60 degree included thread angle with flat crest and root forms. The 1/4" Whitworth thread has the same basic diameter and pitch but the thread form has a 55 degree included angle with radiused crest and root forms. The two are not the same and while the threads may mate the strength of the mismatched threads is severely compromised.

Reply to
tomcas

Indeed. So far I don't even have a UK source to compare to!!

I've ordered from Lee Valley before; tremendously nice people to deal with.

But going transatlantic for a nut!?!

That's just *wrong*

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Well buy a few pieces...you never know when you might need em. :-)

Reply to
George

1/4 Whitworth nuts and bolts? Look in Dad's/Granddad's shed/garage. I have just been in the garage and fetched my old tins down and found 1/4 Whitworth nuts and bolts with no trouble at all. :-))

Mike (Granddad)

Reply to
'Mike'

Could also try 'Tracys Tools' for taps and die.

Reply to
Carl Neil Ellwood

That's metrication for you :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

What's wrong with buying them from LeeValley?

Reply to
Dennis Pogson

It's actually UNC rather than Whitworth - but the diameter and threads per inch are the same. The thread profile is different, though, so best to use the correct thing. Microphone stands use the same size thread - so that gives you another source.

But classic cars do too - so if you want nuts and bolts you could try a supplier for those.

One is Mr Fast'ner who advertises them in a variety of materials. No e-mail I can find - only a phone number. 02476 688000 for a free catalogue.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I heard that many lamps that have the screw-on lampshades also will work - have not been able to verify it

Reply to
Mark

Do you have a reference for this? My 1969 edition Focal Encylopedia says Whitworth. I suppose that the standard could have changed since then, but it would be nice to have a reference.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Irwin

There are two official standards for tripod threads (look them up) are:

DIN Standard: DIN4503 (1993-10) which specifies 1/4-20UNC

ISO Standard: ISO 1222:1987 and ISO 1222:2003 specify 1/4-20UNC and 3/8-16UNC. The official standard has been 1/4-20UNC since 1972 when ISO1222 was first published.

and of course Wikipedia says Whitworth:

Wikipedia is the absolute reference of truth!

It would appear that anything newer should be UNC, stuff older than 1972 could be Whitworth.

Reply to
default

If you can get me an online version of those standards, I'll edit wikipedia. That's rather the point of wikipedia!

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Get a mini camera stand and cannibalise it? They're selling for 99p + p&p on eBay, so probably available at pound shops. The one I have here won't take the weight of my camera, but the screw boss looks pretty sturdy. Not really a "sane price" compared with a screw, but if your gadget can use any of the adjustable bits as well ...

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

You don't say where abouts you are in the UK, but the best place to ask is in the model engineering groups and/or the UK astronomy group uk.sci.astronomy (where a few engineers hang out). You can usually find someone locally in the Yellow pages to sell (or on a good day give) you a few odd sized bolts. On Teesside there is a pretty handy bolt shop in Yarm industrial estate behind the various car dealers (their name escapes me). Little back street engineering places like that tend not to have a web presence and at best have a one line entry in the phone book.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Might it depend where it originated? The UK was never *the* major camera maker or indeed market. So UNC - which mainly came from American Coarse might have been used then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks. Wikipedia is often based on old reference sources. It isn't hard to find sources that say that tripod screws are Whitworth. It is useful to know that the standard since 1972 says UNC.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Irwin