UK DIYers clueless about tools

I expect some pillock slipped and cut themselves and then sued. The instruction about screwdrivers is to prevent a repeat, not a real directive.

Reply to
Huge

Steve Firth

use. Gave up with screwdrivers on modern paint cans because the metal is too thin - had to use a plastic stirrer on one because metal was deforming the side of the can where it touched.

Reply to
PeterC

It's also unavailable or no longer listed from the handful of stores that returned it from google. Bit woorying that it has to have what it's for embossed on the handle, but then for the clueless...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If the can is very thin I use a screwdriver at 0 degees rather than 90 degree angle to the edge of the can. Lever up a little bit around half of the can and the lid doesn't get damaged. I don't know how to explain this but when you do it it is really the only sensible way to open a paint can.

Reply to
Matty F

The word you are looking for is "tangent". Have the screwdriver at a tangent to the rim and yes that is a more controlled method of opening.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, go round doing a bit at a time. The tyre lever doesn't have any sharp corners or edges and it wider than a screwdriver so I prefer it.

Reply to
PeterC

Openers

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

When it finally ends up in the kitchen Drawer-Fulla-Crap, it might be some years before it's found and the inscription might prevent it being thrown out.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Isn't this just lying with statistics? It doesn't say what the job is. I suspect "it" is replies to a list of different jobs because what one job could you complete with oven gloves or shoes or pennies or fingernails?

I recently asked how to cut celotex and kitchen knives were recommended, so in the right context some of these solutions aren't as daft as the report makes out. I was going to suggest whether you could you use pennies beneath a row of tiles but I see other people have beaten me to it and already suggested they might be legitimately used as spacers.

Reply to
Fred