UK DIYers clueless about tools

Now there's a name I've not heard of in years.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How many used a hacksaw for pushfit?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Clueless numpties found shopping at Focus!"

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , harry writes

Many years ago, there was a Health and Safety poster discouraging the use of a screwdriver to open a tin of paint. They didn't suggest a correct alternative.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

"24% use pennies."

My father, a time-served joiner (now retired) always kept a couple of old pennies in his toolkit. They were just the right thickness, for the gap required between the top of a door and the casing when he was hanging a new door.

Reply to
joeys worldcup

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Man at B&Q" saying something like:

I'll bet you don't.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Agreed. But I took that comment as meaning that they used them to try to turn screws?

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Probably the ones who needed to ask Focus DIY staff for help.

Reply to
John Whitworth

For some screw-heads a 20p piece is almost a perfect fit. An old mini-can opener that I keep in my wallet is a good screwdriver for odd things - adjusted gear mechs. several times with it.

It's not what you use but knowing how to use what's to hand and it's limitations.

Reply to
PeterC

Andy Dingley

No, pennies were too thick, he used ha'pennies for that. ;-)

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
John Rumm

PMSL !!!!!!!!

Has he popped in recently ?

Reply to
Jethro

Surely a "pantenna" in that case

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I prefer paint scrapers, with a wider blade they're less likely to bend the lid, and can thus apply more opening force.

NT

Reply to
NT

Surely a tin opener, or an angle grinder?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Invisible Man wrote: ...

The Netgear DGN2000 has a wireless on/off button.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

"The survey revealed that a whopping 84% of DIY enthusiasts admit to using kitchen cutlery to finish a job"

Well that's not exactly suprising. I often use knives on the screws of the kids toys' battery boxes, simply because I'd have to get the key for the garage, go out there and get rained on, climb past the kit-car, etc. just to get a screwdriver for the sake of one small screw. I should really keep some in the house, but my wife moves everything and then I can't find it, whereas she doesn't venture into the garage at all.

SteveW

Steve Walker

All the wireless/wired routers that I've seen have had an option for turning off the wireless section completely, however you do have to log in to their internal webserver and select the option from the configuration menus.

SteveW

Steve Walker

Dave

Reply to