window restrictors

Anyone know a of a supplier of window restrictors that can be retrofitted to wood framed windows[1]? They don't need to restrict the opening to a small amount - just prevent opening past 90 degrees or so (to prevent hinge damage if the sash is caught in the wind)

[1] ideally one end screwed down onto the bottom of the frame inside, and the other onto the inner face of the sash.
Reply to
John Rumm

Isn't that exactly what a casement stay does?

The Medway Handyman

There's plenty of variety e.g.

's worth replacing the stop peg with one that has a loose screw top which can be used to lock the window partly for security and partly to prevent gusts of wind bouncing it open. Focus sell them.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

If the window is open enough for anything the screw is accessible. I have those exact units and they never 'bounce open'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Everyone else seems to have missed your point John.

I think these are what you require

Bob Minchin

but only if it is engaged. If it is not hooked over the peg or gets knocked etc then the window is free to open too far and damage its hinges.

I want something with say a shorter stay with a long slot in it rather than a series of discrete holes, and a peg with screw down top - so you can position it to the hinged side and set it such that it limits the maximum opening.

Reply to
John Rumm

Probably me not explaining it well enough ;-)

now that would do the job. Shame about the price (a mate of mine wants 16 of them!). In fact something like:

do nicely (in addition to the existing stays).

Reply to
John Rumm

I think you missed the bit in which I indicated that the item is an

*example* of what's available; there are many different styles and the fact that you happen to have some matching that particular example is no guide to how other styles will behave. You may disagree with the value of the security offered by the screwdown type but that is partly the purpose for which they're designed whether it meets with your approval or not.

The fact that the particular type you have has never been bounced open by gusts of wind is really no guide to how the many other types will perform especially as many of them are made from light weight aluminium. I can assure you that I have often in the past had windows bounced open in windy weather which is why I fitted the screw-top pegs I mentioned and which are sold for that very purpose. I hope this clears up the doubt about the intended purpose of the items I mentioned even if they don't meet with universal approval.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

the iron ones you linked to, are pretty much bounce proof except in a full gale and we tend to shut the windows than :-)

I fully agree that the aluminium ones are not worth having at all.

had them in a previous life - always knocking them off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher