U-Bend disaster; fess up or keep schtum?

I thought it was because they were originally made in the town of Mole in Wales.

But I have no evidence for that, it's just a memory.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Wimmin have to operate a kitchen sink because their men folk wouldn't recognise one.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Aha!

I've always wondered, because moles aren't renown for their incredible gripping power. Alligator wrench would have made more sense.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Depends upon whether there is a conveniently placed mole to grip!

(suddenly can't get Carry On Dick out of my mind)

Reply to
RichardS

It's gentler than a nut cracker.

I'm lost.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You should never rinse pasta! Nor should you cook it with oil in the water.

Reply to
marble

A 4" tool....hardly much use to a woman is it ;-)

Reply to
R obbo

marble typed

I do neither myself, though some friends do.

I cook mine, drain in a colander, return pasta to pan, add olive oil toss & serve.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

I wondered about that too, the rinsing that is. Didn't know there was a 'should' about it but I've never felt the need.

Nor do I rinse rice and the grains are always separate.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Especially after Royal Mail has handled it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Didn't expect all the pasta comments. Well here is the story of the pasta. It was Sunday night, everyone was starving and the Tesco shop didn't come until the next day. Everyone suggesting pizza and chinese etc, but I said no, the kitchen cupboards are full to bursting and there was bound to stuff for tea.

It was a showdown between Fray Bentos steak and kidley, with a side of bacon supernoodles and mushy peas, or pasta and summat. The hordes were highly unimpressed to I had to make sure it was good.

When poor young students, SO and I used to have pasta and tuna all the time so I went with that. Found a packet of macroni, a jar of Dolmia extra onion and garlic only a week out of date. Always have about 40 tins of tuna, and had a nice big hunk of mature Carbery in the fridge.

Haven't made it in 7 years so shoved the whole packet in the saucepan forgetting how much dried pasta expands. We do regulary have fresh pasta, different beastie altogether. Pasta didn't have enough water so tried to stick all over the place. Committed the other pasta sin; added olive oil to the water. It did help. When it had finished cooking the water was very starchy and sticky so...

THAT'S WHY I RINSED THE PASTA..

Added Dolmia and tuna and a mountain of yummy cheese and thought dear god, enough for the army here. Served it in the biggest dish I could find. It all vanished like snow off a ditch, and got the best compliment number 2 will ever give me, "Mummy I love your cooking, your are almost as good as granny" (the woman that can burn water).

The End.

We're having it next weekend to.

Reply to
Suz

Put a dob of solvent on the pipe, near one end. If the solvent attacks the surface of the pipe, it will solvent weld. If it doesn't, it won't.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Somebody Mole & Sons, Newport, S.Wales afair.

Manufactured in Birmingham, moved to Newport in the late 70s I think. The old pair I have that belonged to my father (grandfather?) are stamped say Self Grip Wrench, Mole Birmingham England, as is a newer pair I have had for >30 years whereas the the mini moles I bought myself c25 years ago say Mole reg trade mark,Newport Monmouth, Great Britain

Reply to
DJC

I asked Spouse, he says they were made by a company called Mole.

He's upset because he can't find either of his and, he says, they were far superior to any substitutes. I say the lads will find them when they clear out the garage when he dies and they'll either fight over them or wonder what the old **** wanted with something so old fashioned. I think he said one was a pipe wrench.But I could be wrong.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nice story butI feel ever so slightly sick... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

IME this can happen when a pipe is battered with a heavy saucepan or similar where it runs through a cupboard, and pulls out of the socket. Boiling water shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
Rob Morley

The message from DJC contains these words:

I had thought my pair dated back to the 60s but the are stamped Newport, Mon. Gt Britain. I can't actually remember when I got them so am probably wrong.

Reply to
Roger

Funny innit .. are we returning to the 'old days' when the goods would be brought to us in our homes?

Hey .. they can even deliver milk now (who would ever have thought that would catch on eh?).

Ere, if they supplied it in glass (reuseable) bottles we could save a lot of plastic waste as well ... .

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

You may be right, very difficult to remember how long I've had the middle aged pair, but not before 1971 I am certain.

Reply to
DJC

The message from DJC contains these words:

I sometimes have trouble these days remembering what I did the previous week so I could easily have replaced my original pair and forgotten all about it. Some of my tools I have had for a very long time but just about the only ones I can date with any degree of certainty are my first decent set of spanners - open ended, ring and socket set (late 1964 or early 1965) and the few tools that came via tool kits from long dead cars.

Reply to
Roger