Two-way lights

Is there anything wrong with using two 1-way switches to create a lighting circuit that can be turned on from either of two locations?

i.e.

Live splits into two paths. Both are controlled by a one way switch, and both end up at the light. So if either or both switches are on, the light is on, if both switches are off, the light is off.

i.e.

Light | | Sw Sw | | \ / | Live

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

As long as the live is from the same source, I don't think you are not allowed to do this. I have done it with my flood lights, with one switch being a normal switch inside, and the other is a separate PIR outside.

The pain in the arse factor would be having to switch off both switches to get the light to turn off if you had two normal switches, this is why a proper 2 way circuit is far better as either switch will turn the light on or off, irrespective of the other ones position.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

You can do this. However, it doesn't allow the circuit to be switched OFF from the two locations, so this type of circuit is usually only used with timed or PIR switches. It is most commonly applied to exterior lighting, with one PIR switch and one normal switch to override the lighting to the on condition even when there are no spiders about to cause 500W of annoying light and carbon pollution.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle