Two speed switch for bathroom fan

Life is complicated :-)
My plan is to have a bathroom fan with a humidistat, a run on timer, and an override switch. I can source the parts to do this.
However when looking at fans I can see that the ones which come up as suitable for my size room are mainly two speed fans. O.K. find a two speed fan switch to add to the list. However I can't seem to locate an IP44 switch which can switch a fan between the two speeds.
I did find http://www.buyheliosonline.co.uk/speed-switch---ds-22-389-p.asp but this has a 0,1,2 switch state and I don't really want a switch in the circuit which can disable the fan if switched to the wrong setting.
Anyone have any idea of a suitable switch to use? I just want to switch between low and high speeed, but don't want the switch in the loft or under the ceiling downstairs where it isn't easily accessible.
Cheers
Dave R
[Not even bunny]
On Monday, September 10, 2012 11:14:52 AM UTC+1, David WE Roberts wrote:

any switch you like plus a capacitor http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Dropper
NT
     snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes:

Any change you can fix whatever double-spaces all the lines in your followups?
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I've been considering blacklisting google groups, with a whitelist of valued posters, some GG users seem to suffer from double line spacing, others seem to suffer from extremely long lines which don't wrap properly on quoting, others seem send perfectly good messages.
I'm wondering do some people take the time to tidy-up their messsages before posting via GG, or is this the difference between old and new GG?
Andy Burns wrote:

That can be the difference between people using different browsers on different platforms.
Macs often dont play nice with some backend code.

--
Ineptocracy

That's certainly working for me, I have a soft kill on all GG posts and have to specifically request ones from valued posters. There's so little of value coming from that source that it is only a slight inconvenience.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On 10/09/2012 13:09, Andy Burns wrote:

CTRL+R in thunderbird when editing the reply will reformat all the long lines for you.
--
Cheers,

John.

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

--
Ineptocracy

On Monday, September 10, 2012 12:59:43 PM UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I'd love to fix a lot of things with google groups, and some of the idiotically designed products I've had over the years. Maybe start by firing either the people that designed them or the manager that said no, you cant put any more time into making it work sensibly. But, IRL there are other fish to fry first.
Every time google messes with its usenet interface, it just gets worse. I suspect they use it as an exercise for their newbie programmers.
NT
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:14:31 +0100, "David WE Roberts"

Just a thought - are you sure that you will need both speeds? When faced with this conundrum I decided to try my Soler & Palau fan out at both speeds - just changing the connection between the high and low speed fan terminals. I soon realised that the fan was so very quiet I could happily run it at the higher speed without the need to use the low speed at all. In your case (from memory you are using the higher capacity TD250) you may find that you only need to use the low speed connection. -- rbel
"rbel" wrote in message wrote:

Yes - just seems wrong to buy a two speed fan then hard wire it to one speed. I will probably have different setups upstairs and down, as upstairs is a very short run, but downstairs is several metres - from the centre of the house - and may have to go into plastic tubing (100mm soil pipe or equivalent) to avoid loss of efficiency.
Which raises another question - how far along the run do you place the fan? Is it better at pushing or pulling, or should you place it in the middle of the ducting run so it is equal distances from inlet and vent?
Cheers
Dave R
[Not even bunny]
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:43:58 +0100, "David WE Roberts"

The diagrams I have seen on the Vent-Axia and Xpelair sites show the fan being placed approximately midway along the ducting. -- rbel
On 10/09/2012 11:14, David WE Roberts wrote:

That switch is for a three-phase fan. I'm guessing yours is single phase.

Assuming the fan just has two alternative live terminals, you'll just need a changeover switch e.g. a two-way light switch. then the challenge is finding one in the right environmental rating that doesn't ming too much...
Cheers,
Colin.

Yes, I was wondering about that - just a ceiling pull switch with two way switching could do. The only problem might be that I'm going to have too many pull switches: Light Fan override Fan high/low. .....it's like a jungle in there ;-)
Also, as rbel says the fans may be very quiet. In which case how do you tell when the fan is on high speed? Neon indicator?
Cheers
Dave R
[Not even bunny]
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:39:07 +0100, "David WE Roberts"

Whilst the difference in the fan mechanical noise for my TD160 unit is not discernable in the bathroom there is an increase in the air movement noise through the shower vent grille. -- rbel
"rbel" wrote in message wrote:

Thanks - useful info.
[Not even bunny]
On 10/09/2012 14:39, David WE Roberts wrote:

I can see the notice now:
Pull once for light and no fan twice for light and slow fan, three times for light and fast fan four times for no light and slow fan five times for no light and fast fan ...

If your hair points upwards in the shower, then its on fast ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

Flattered that you think I have enough hair to use as a reliable indicator :-)
[Not even bunny]
On 11/09/2012 08:33, David WE Roberts wrote:

I did not say it was on your head ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.