Veneering

I've bought a couple of ex-broadcast speakers which although fine electrically are very tatty. They are made out of teak faced birch ply, and I'd like to get them looking as close to standard as possible.
The size is W460 D400 H770mm
The sides appear to have three strips of veneer - but the top only one.
I've never done any veneering on this scale before, so any sites I should look at - and who would be the best value supplier?
I have used some iron on stuff for small things and found it quite successful - but this is a major project.
Any help gratefully received...
--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

I always used Thixofix and a roller, it always seemed very time consuming.

Being a total novice, is that any easier than the iron on stuff? I've noticed many veneer suppliers sell iron on stuff - or iron on film that can be used with 'bare' veneer? I know it must upset the purists who use boiling pots of horses bits - but I don't want to invest in lots of stuff I'll probably never use again.
Other thing is after closer examining is I think only one will need new veneer. But would that match the other close enough?
What varnish would give the closest colour to the factory stuff? Probably from the early '80s. Satin finish.
--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:30:52 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Impact adhesive is your man. Evo-stick or whatever.
Best of luck with matching the finish. Its a black art. To finish them I'd use an aerosol can of lacquer. B&Q carry a range. Much quicker than a brush. Easy to do on a small project

I'd imagine iron-on would be easier and less messy although I've only ever seen it as edging. Matching a finish? Anybodys guess.
On 11/09/2012 18:54, brass monkey wrote:

I've used both on furniture and, if I had to do it again, would definitely use iron-on. Too long ago to be much help with suppliers though.

There will usually be offcuts that can be used to try different options.
Colin Bignell

I have built several speakers .. and used the iron on veneers .... I used to buy mine from Wilmslow Audio.
Hot iron with brown paper between veneer & iron.

And it stayed stuck even at the edges? It would make life very much easier.
--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 23:30:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Many years ago I clad a chipboard speaker cabinet with some form of foil-backed veneer, which ISTR was iron-on. The difficulty was trying to get reasonable external corners without too much aluminium foil showing... :-)
--
Frank Erskine

On 11/09/2012 23:52, Frank Erskine wrote:

ISTR there was a small tool you could buy from the veneer supplier that would cut the edge to a chamfer to avoid that problem.
Colin Bignell