TV Screen scratch

Hope someone can help....my 2yr old daughter has managed to scratch m

TV - a pretty standard 31" Panasonic flatscreen (not plasma/LCD).

Is there any way to remove this scratch on the glass - it is "squiggle" roughly 1 1/2 " long but doesn't seem too deep- but it i extremely annoying....

Grateful for any advic

-- alexbartman

Reply to
alexbartman

The glass used on TV screens is normally tempered, so scratches are difficult to polish. Some toothpaste on a damp cloth, then buff it hard with plenty elbow grease behind it, might just take some of the scratch out. If it isn't to deep, then a rub with duraglit jewellery polish wool might also make the scratch disappear a bit.

What you need is something that isn't to abrasive really.

Reply to
BigWallop

I have no idea of whether it would help, or totally destroy the screen, but have you considered one of those car windscreen repair kits?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , Christian McArdle writes

This is the best idea and does work. All you need to do is fill the scratch with something which has a similar refractive index to the glass, and that's what the windscreen repair kits do.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

I thought that tubes (perhaps some tubes) have coatings of one sort or another - e.g. anti-reflective etc. Might it be that using an abrasive, even a mild one would remove an area of this and produce something more noticable.

How about an insurance claim for accidental damage?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I heard of cigarette ash being used for this. Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady

31" diagonal, 456 sq inches, 15lb/sq inch, 6840lbs, 3.1 tonnes on the screen... With a hard vacum behind it, a scratch on the front and flat, not curved to take the stress better.

How do you cut glass? You scratch it and apply stress. Hum, how big was this scratch again? I think I'd go for the insurance claim rather than risk implosion or than trying to polish it out. Coatings aside, if you can feel it with a finger nail I doubt you'll be able to polish it out anyway as it'll be too deep. Windscreen repair might be a solution but I'd still be worried about a failure.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Christian

But these kits are intended for *chips*, not scratches.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Reply to
gordonpuk

When I was in the TV repair trade, we used to rub *ACROSS* the scratch with Brasso on a rag. However it is *VERY* time consuming and does not (usually) completely remove the scratch. TV tube faceplates use glass which is heavily lead-loaded, making the glass soft and easily scratchable :(

Reply to
Paul King

If this is the route you decide to go and live in Surrey, I can recommend a good windscreen repair guy. I think he charges about £35 a car windscreen but does an excellent job. He nearly had a go at repairing some crystal for me only it was extremely fiddly. If you spoke to him he would tell you if he could do a tv screen repair. I will check back later and find his number if you want it.

Reply to
Pinot Grigio

In article , ":::Jerry::::" writes

Maybe, but it does work for hiding scratches in TV screens.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Or maybe even cheaper, some clear varnish. If the scratch disapears when you wet it, you can permanently wet it with varnish.

The windscreen stuff is about £10 if I remember correctly, and is used for filling the gap between the chip and the main piece of glass. It needs to cure in UV too. ISTR some glass blocks UV, so you may need to take the TV outside.

I had a friend with a plastic caravan window that was opaque with very fine scratches. I think he used varnish to wet it, and it went clear.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

Remember there's a hard vacuum 'behind' the glass screen. Approximately 14 lb per square inch! Talk to your household insurance agent/claims man ... s/he may prefer to fork out for a new CRT rather than the consequences of the scratched tube failing.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Anybody asked the manufacturers of the TVs what they recommend?

Reply to
paulfoel

Buy a new one?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Which are practically zero.

Back in the day, there was an advert (after some media hype about televisions imploding) featuring someone beating on an operating TV with a hammer. The faceplate is very, very tough.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have serious doubts it's really flat. Even a very slight curve enormously increases the strength.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

If you get a tube out and take it down somewhere you can chuck it 10' face down onto concrete you can make a satisfying bang.....

so I'm told.. :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Many years ago I tried to dispose of an old tube by burying it in soil, and throwing a hammer at its exposed face from a relatively safe distance. I failed miserably (the hammer is still probably buried in the field somewhere).

Eventually I took the base off the tube and broke the vacuum by cutting the little tube through which it had been evacuated. It filled up slowly with a hiss, and was disposed of in the bin. You can't do that with a modern tube.

Reply to
<me9