TV LED puzzler

Panasonic TV red/green LED fine at switch-on Any attempt to change volume/channel/switch off/on makes the LED start flickering which I'm unable to stop. However if I put my hand anywhere near the 'bulb', the flickering stops, until I take my hand away. Otherwise the TV works fine. Piece of black tape ? :)

Reply to
Jim the Geordie

Maybe the programme 'Ghosts' has found a new home?

Reply to
Davey

Long shot, but it's not a Neon type lamp? When they get old they can become light-sensitive. (Or more light sensitive.)

Reply to
Clive Arthur

A remote control for something else lost down a sofa or somewhere with a cushion pushing a button? Then your hand reflects enough of the beam to the remote sensor of the TV which is the wrong coding to actively do anything?

Reply to
N_Cook

Batteries failing in the remote control and pressing one button causes the remote to send multiple commands, or maybe just rubbish.

Possibly easily diagnosed by just covering the IR transmitter on the remote when the flashing occurs.

Reply to
alan_m

You all make sense except Davey (I hope). Left it flickering on standby for a couple of hours and it seems to have 'healed itself'. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Jim the Geordie

That means that the Ghosts have moved on........... ?

Good luck!

Reply to
Davey

If I have understood your post correctly, moisture or other contamination in the remote - under the rubber keypad.

Usually, you can remove the batteries, sometimes there is a screw or two, then the case can be unclipped.

The PCB will either come free, be clipped in, or held with screws if needed, to access the membrane.

Carefully clean the key grid on the PCB with a lint free cloth soaked in alcohol. Ditto the rubber keys - the pads which make the contacts.

Check everything is clean and dry then reassemble.

The above helps if a remote key sticks or doesn’t work.

Reply to
Brian