TV distribution problem

We have a Sky+ and a Sky+ HD box in the same room. Both boxes are connected directly to the TV in the room and have their UHF outputs daisychained for distribution to other rooms.

One box outputs to the aerial input of the other and the output of that one goes to a splitter, and from there to other rooms.

This all worked perfectly until a short while ago. Now however, both boxes can be seen perfectly in the kitchen, but only one can be seen in the conservatory. Re-tuning does not pick up the second box.

After the problem started, but for totally different reasons (finally getting around to sinking boxes and cables into the wall, instead of the array along the skirting), the splitter and some cables were replaced, the problem remains.

The splitter is passive, the boxes do not have power enabled on their RF outputs, neither of the TVs is on a pass-through.

Any ideas?

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Always annoying to answer these without being there. 30 secs on site and I could tell you for sure. However:

  1. Have you combined an aerial feed with the satbox signal by means of a splitter behind the TV set, or in any other way?
  2. Some TV sets won't tune ch69.
  3. Some TV sets have a fault that means they won't tune the lowest few channels, or the highest few.
  4. Some TV sets won't tune a DSB signal, even though they have previously done so. They skip over it.
  5. It is possible that a standing wave pattern is cancelling out one channel on one telly. This is especially likely if you have used a resistive splitter.
  6. Are there any unterminated ends or cable discontinuities?

You could experiment by altering the output channels on the boxes, removing the splitter, etc.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Sounds like one for the wiki, do you mind if it goes on there?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

What me? No, I don't care what you do.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Nice one

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ever since my picture of Little Mo with TETRA across her face went round the world I've given up bothering.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No. The only aerial feed goes into the first satbox - and in fact that's been disconnected for the last week.

Neither box is on 69 and both boxes were previously being received by the two TVs mentioned, then one box just vanished from one TV, but not the other. At this time, no changes had been made at all.

Okay, that's possible. It is however happy with the other box.

That's possible too.

The bedroom and computer connections are unterminated, but they have been for the entire length of time that we've had the TV in the conservatory and had no problems before. I'll try terminating them with

75 ohm resistors.

Yes that's my next stage after the terminators. Fortunately access is easy.

Thanks,

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW