amplifier/splitter to split tv signal into 6

Hi,

I have one of these under the stairs , a plug in one, but I think it's knackered.

I was looking on the Maplin.co.uk website to find a replacement and was thinking of getting this

this suitable?

Thanks, John

Reply to
jgkgolf

Looks OK and seems to give the usual 3dB gain on each of the outputs - that's roughly doubling the signal. The only point I'd make is that it uses 'F' connectors rather than a push-in coax connector. Does your existing amplifier use 'F' connectors? If not, you'll have to replace them for this unit. Also (from one of the questions featured on the Maplin site) it appears that it's only supplied with one terminator. I'd buy aditional terminators to attach to any unused outputs in the event that you're not going to use all of them. Finally, these amplifiers always work best if they're as close to the incoming signal source as possible - i.e. where the aerial/satellite cable enters your house. But if your existing amp location used to be OK, there's no reason to suppose it won't be equally OK for the Maplin amp.

Mike

Reply to
mheden

*Power*

There are others on the site that seem not to, offering screw terminal/clamp terminations, or Belling - Lee sockets. (Not clear)

Not necessary, the way these units work is that they generate a single low impedance high level output (which is also made available externally via a resistive pad for use with passive extenders) and the

8 low level outputs are padded off of this resistively.

There is a lot of isolation between outputs and the load or absence thereof is not reflected back through the resistive pad to any extent. There is no way that mismatching these outputs can, for instance, cause reflections etc. or that interference can get between outputs.

A answer on the Maplin site to the following question appears to be potentially incorrect :

Q) Will this box accept a sky signals as well as a normal tv signal in the 2 inputs?? - David Kimber

A) RF output from a Sky box yes.

******************************************************************************** The 2 inputs are a UHF TV aerial input and a band II VHF radio input.

Assuming the aerial is connected to the UHF input, it is a matter for conjecture whether the VHF radio input will take SKY UHF rf video.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^