1.7A though a 'phono connector' ?

Hi All,

I'm trying to repair an eBike battery / charger combo on behalf of a mate who in turn is doing it for an elderly customer of his cycle shop as a goodwill gesture.

She actually bought the electric bike elsewhere and the Co have since gone down the pan (I've rung), hence our involvement. (In case we can just get the genuine plug lose it says "Sting Ray, Electric Vehicles" on the battery case and could be a predecessor to this: (Stingray 3 / Infineon) ?

charging socket is mounted behind a (~11mm diameter) hole in the battery casing looks very much to me like a std 'phono' socket (it is a panel mount type, mounted on a bracket behind the hole), but the plug (or the remains of it) look more robust than the audio-video-phono (RCA/) plugs I'm more used to.

The centre pin on this one is solid but split (like the old round 3 pin mains plug pins) and doesn't seem to protrude past the outer shroud as far as typical ones do (I think the centre pin on the in-line charger plug is actually the same length and diameter as a std phono plug, it's just the shroud is longer by about 5mm).

So, anyone seen anything like that used in any other role or could recommend an off-the-shelf plug / panel mounted socket that would handle A maximum of 45 Volts (DC) and 1.7A (according to the sticker on the charger) please?

There doesn't seem to be any requirement for any solution to be locking (in fact that could be undesirable) or waterproof but being easy to plug-in / locate might be an advantage (elderly Lady user etc).

The socket must be flush fitting as it is covered by the carrying handle when mounted on the bike (I guess if a socket didn't fit easily mechanically it could be re-bracketed or hot-glue / epoxied into place as it's not visible).

All the best and thanks for your time.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

It sounds similar to the plugs used on some laptops, especially the bit about the split tip.

If you're looking for a better specced replacement, XLR might do, the female socket is usually placed on the battery pack, contacts rated at

250VAC 15A so should handle 45VDC 1.5A.

Coaxial 3.1mm DC plugs can handle 6A and they are commonly available.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ah, ok, not seen any like that from memory Steve.

I was thinking of XLR's (if we are talking about the same thing, never really used any in the flash yet). Like this? (I especially like the idea of the sockets pins shrouded as protection against shorting the battery etc)

is this the mating 'Inline plug' (the one with the pins showing and again I like the idea that the pins are recessed behind the shroud).

sort of o/d are those plug bodies do you know please (the existing hole is ~10mm diameter but could be opened somewhat).

Hmm, I think I prefer the XLR's now you have mentioned them .. if I can get them to fit.

If not and without the locking ring, these might also do:

fact the 'bracket' I mentioned that supports the existing socket behind the hole in the case is in fact a moulded plastic 'fork'. IF the flanges of the XLR would sit between the case and the existing bracket (depending upon the diameter of the XLR socket body) it could just be tacked into place with some hot_melt_glue.

All the best and thanks ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Neutricon?

try
as they refer to "phono type connectors" on some of their chargers for electric bikes.

Reply to
Peter Parry

this as the mating plug:

that's because conventionally one is more worried about a user shorting the pins on the battery box (with e.g. a ring or similar). If the battery box isn't going to have someone's hand pressed into contact with the XLR connector then I suppose it doesn't matter which way round the plug/socket are arranged.

19mm OD. The specs are on the Maplin page (click the Specifications tab).

the things that we use for motorway signs and they can be 25-35mm in diameter.

You might want to consider these, they're exactly the size you want (10.5mm dia), but they're fecking expensive:

that's just RS prices you may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere. Slightly better prices here, as well as PDF spec. sheets.

Steve Firth

The message from %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) contains these words:

the web

Reply to
Appin

Nope, true, and in this case the socket will be in a ~3mm deep hole and when the plug isn't in place will probably be protected by the rigid briefcase style handle that drops down into a recess over it.

Doh, the plug I happened to look at had nothing on the specs page (or not the dims anyway).

I know what you mean but I've just found the datasheet and it seems these particular plugs are about 15 mm od so still in with a shout (and cheap enough).

pole would also do.

I think it's one of those things where I'll find something that will do to get this one sorted quickly / cheaply. Then I'll see if I can get something that might be better quality ready if / when there is a next time.

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, good to know but I don't have an account. :-(

Do you have to be 'trade' to get one do you know?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Have you actually used these Peter? I assume the locking mech would stop the cable pulling the connector apart unless you wanted it to. I would probably have to defeat that so that the cable would pull it out rather than tripping the lady over etc? Also, are you aware of any regular (high street type) places that stock them please?

They do don't they (well spotted). The one on this lead is moulded so I'm not sure if they can be supplied for retro fit but can only ask.

If I don't find something tomorrow I might give them a ring on Monday.

In fact I could make this a dual interface as there is an unused position (and hole) in the battery case where I could fit my alternative socket in parallel, then she would have the best of both worlds (in case she ever has to buy a new charger etc).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

You seemed to have them the other way around. [snip]

You're welcome.

Reply to
Steve Firth

latch - so might not be too clever for a charger for a bike. I'd prefer something that would pull out. Although it might be possible to disable the latch.

Most chassis mounting XLRs require a 22.5mm diameter hole.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No - just a credit card. But RS are generally pretty expensive especially for a small purchase. Try CPC or Rapid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ok thanks Dave.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yeah, that was a concern of mine.

Might be doable.

I'll have a look at what Maplin have in stock tomorrow and probably buy a little selection (always handy for the bits box in any case).

I think this might have it for a down and dirty quick / cheap fix. It's not dissimilar to the fit of the bits that are in there now and are in stock.

think the locking ring can simply left off (or cut off if it's trapped) and I think I've seen them used on similar role chargers.

Those baby XLR's and nice but would imagine even with their locking mech removed might still not pull out easily because of the quality of the fit?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The message from T i m contains these words:

Well, I COULD have got one on a bona fide trade basis -- we do have a small caravan site which has a number of genuine trade accounts with suppliers of various sorts, but in point of fact I spoke to RS Accounts and simply pointed out that I order on behalf of a number of different charities as well as the caravan site and also for myself and it would be a lot simpler just to hve it in my name -- and they said yes! Some you win, some you don't, but that was one that I won. Very useful. Just order the odd thing every six months or so to keep it going. The post free thing is very valuable and some things are actually quite difficult to obtain elsewhere, especially when one lives in the sticks and carriage is not only expensive but often surcharged as well.

Reply to
Appin

Must have been about 12 years ago, I started opening an account with RS. They wanted a copy of the company accounts, references from two suppliers, and probably more things I've forgotten. In the middle of assembling this, there was a knock on the door and a cold call from Farnell with a catalogue and the offer of an account setup on the spot. Never bothered finishing off the RS application, and Farnell got the business for the next 10 years or so...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Somewhat O/T, but I just bought a UPS from this chap. Nice bloke to do business with, so far as I can see.

Reply to
Huge

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

Nothing against Farnell, but don't they have a minimum credit card order of £20? Expensive if all you've run out of is small items worth less than that? All I'm saying is that RS are actually useful for obscure items that one doesn't use very many of, in which instance the absence of minimum order value on web orders can make the end price cheaper although the unit price is higher.

Reply to
Appin

In message , Appin writes

I thought it was £30

can't see as their server seems to be down ATM

Reply to
geoff

Thanks for that and good to know Huge.

I have been given a PowaByke (still to collect it) and I understand the owners have lost the charger , so I might be looking for a suitable charger soon so may well give them a try for that as well (as the phono plug question).

Incidentally, my BIL picked up a selection of the plugs / sockets we discussed from Maplin yesterday and now I have them in my hand I think the:

(2 pole) , with the locking ring removed, will be the best solution (from Maplin) as they were quite cheap, suitably rated and should fit using the existing hardware (and only a slight opening of the existing hole).

All the best and thanks to all etc ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m