TSB online banking still down

There is another possible option:

Put in a switching proxy on all interfaces that diverts to either the old or new system based on account number.

Move accounts over in small batches.

OK - there remains the problem of account operations moving money between accounts on the old and new systems but that can at least be done with some batch mode glue rather than needing to be real time.

Disclaimer - I have never worked with a banking system but I'm applying general principals to the problem. Certainly in my line of IT work we always try to have the old and new system running concurrently and move the load over in a graceful way.

It would take some work to put proxies in place, but rather than being a short term hack, these can be very useful for load balancing and could become a permanent part of the design.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's the excuse everyone gives. And it's not true. You can diagnose most faults from symptoms. And diagnostic equipment is anything but 100% perfect. Designed to remove the skills needed for fault finding so garages can use semi-skilled people at a lower cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

& still charge full price :-(

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

But often increases the cost to the customer as the semi-skilled technician just changes ALL the parts suggested by the computer without applying some common sense.

Reply to
alan_m

Look at other people's transactions, but not withdraw other people's money.

Reply to
Martin

From what has been reported money could have been transferred to any third party account that had previously been set up and between linked accounts.

Reply to
alan_m

Quite. When that 'check engine' light comes on there will often be a variety of faults logged. Not that a garage usually cares as the customer has to pay for them to experiment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It happens that Harry Bloomfield formulated :

Still no access, despite yesterdays announcement that it was back but with a restriction in place to limit the number able to log in. I have managed two partial log ins, where I seemed to log in then got an error page at the second stage log in.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, upgrading to the Spanish Banks system and transferring away from the Lloyds system which was costing them ?200m pa.

Reply to
bert

That was my thought. Pick a random range of account numbers or all those whose primary account holder has a surname beginning with a particular, randomly chosen letter of the alphabet and at least you limit any disruption and anger to a small percentage of your customer base. Once proven, larger batches could then be moved over on a nightly basis.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I got in this morning, on only the second attempt.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve Walker brought next idea :

Multiple attempts and I briefly got in enough to check my basic account.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just in case anyone is trying to login with an old bookmark, TSB have changed the url of the login page and not put a link from the old login to the new one. Wankers! You need to go to the TSB home page, login there and make a new bookmark. Seems to be working but very sloooowly.

Apart from them trying to run a direct debit that I had cancelled weeks ago, the account figures seem to be OK for me.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It happens that Bob Minchin formulated :

That might explain why the software I use to check all of my accounts, fails with the TSB.

Same here, it is so slow that sometimes on the login, it can time out midway and it shows the code, before the statement contents.

OK here too, except two payment to Paypal seem to have been made as one payment.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've emailed you directly Harry. its possible it has ended up in a spam file. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob Minchin brought next idea :

Received and replied to..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

on 26/04/2018, Harry Bloomfield supposed :

Sorry, it was stuck in my outbox. I replied to you via the receive only account from my old ISP.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield