TSB online banking still down

It was supposed to be offline Friday through to Sunday evening for upgrade, but they seem to have hit unexpected problems. It is still not available and they seem unable to predict when it might be back..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Wasn't it more than an upgrade? It was to transfer accounts to the new owner's system, from Lloyds to Banco Sabadell.

Reply to
alan_m

It was suggested to be an upgrade of their system, was what I understood it to be.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Presumably you'd prefer it to stay offline, given the reports of customerA accessing customerB's accounts?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think it was meant to decouple them from Lloyds IT systems.

They are quite apologetic about it but I expect they will haemorrhage customers as a result of this MFU.

The Lloyds-TSB marriage was always made in hell since even when they were notionally a part of Lloyds former TSB "Lloyds" badged branches could not offer certain real Lloyds bank services to their customers.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I assume that customerA may want to get to his account fairly urgently to find if customerB has moved all the money!

It appears to be a bit more than a little glitch in the system. Will it be the first Spanish first bank to go under in 2018?

Reply to
alan_m

Unlikely.

After the massive RBS snafu a few years back, there was a smaller one a while later.

I was amused by all the people commenting how they were disgusted it had happened to them again. The take-home message being they had not changed banks after the previous cockup.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Is it 2018 or 1918 ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In message , Jethro_uk writes

1918 in this ng.

D_i_y died in the '60's.

In 2018 you just buy a new one from China via Amazon or ebay.

Reply to
Bill

I reckon it expired more like in the 1990's. Modern cars are just about impossible to fault find these days without dedicated computer kit.

Sometimes with advertised UK stock to satisfy instant gratification.

Reply to
Martin Brown

And since a lot of the professional quality tools have become much more affordable.

Just a different DIY skill. The software for some cars doesn't have to be expensive. If you own a Ford google FORSCAN for some "free" software that requires a £15 OBDII interface.

Reply to
alan_m

Yebbut, the Natwest fiasco meant no-one could get any money out. The TSB one apparently meant people could spend other people's money. That's not good for confidence.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Except that you still get loose/dirty battery terminals. I find people are increasingly impressed at my ability to fix them.

Reply to
newshound

What do you expect, if the national news is correct the system was so old nobody knew how it worked and was put in years ago when it became part of Lloyds, from my recent dealings with the afore mentioned, their system is still in the dark ages of only producing print and web site stuff has been glued in in an ad hoc mess. To be honest, they should know that this sort of thing is going to be a very hard job, and that is probably why its been so delayed. I'd have allowed a whole week, and one has to wonder why thought was not put into running the two systems until all the problems had been sorted. it is not exactly rocket science. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff brought next idea :

From what I have seen personally, most banking computer systems are ancient as a matter of normality. TSB's problem seems to stem from them trying to separate the TSB's system, away from the Lloyds internal systems.

The latest is that the TSB says their system is working, but they are restricting the number of users at one time, so as not to over load it. Me - despite repeated attempts, I have not managed to get in once to check my account online. I did manage to ring and use telephone banking, just to be sure of what had gone in/out - it required numerous attempts, mostly engaged, but I got through once.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I found Halifax to have even more of a messy IT system with dark parts that were invisible to their newest front end software and one output that looked like a deranged tickertape with words and figures run together in a window in a completely unintelligible format.

I ended up with compensation for their multifarious mistakes.

Changing over a live system is always going to be a fraught operation no matter how well you plan it. Big systems are complex and under heavy load can behave in unexpected and unpredictable ways.

Actually running two transaction systems in parallel is a complete nightmare since you have to make sure the transactions are mirrored on both platforms which can be harder to get right than a clean switch.

The catch is that when you do the clean switch you need to be confident that the new system is:

a) functioning correctly in all the main areas b) capable of handling the user load

It seems that they have some issues with the latter. I suspect some gung-ho PHB insisted that it go live on the scheduled date when the engineers were screaming at them that it wasn't ready and wouldn't work.

Been there done that and got the T-shirt.

Reply to
Martin Brown

CEO Paul Pester is only saying it is up and running because to say anything different means he, and his IT senior staff, lose the bonuses they will be getting for a successfully transfer of account details. His bonus is said to be £1m for this activity. The system only needs minor calibrating and the only problem is customers who want to know what is happening and are trying to log on.

There was a report on the radio yesterday from an anonymous employee who suggested that they knew less than customers about the problems, the phone lines had been deliberately undermanned and they had been told to tell customers that all was well with the system.

It looks like the banking industry is again rewarding people for failure, both failure of the system and failure in customer service.

IMO the CEO, who after spending an intensive 48 hour firefighting the system with his team, either didn't know what was happening when interviewed or he was deliberately covering his arse and was lying to customers. It was only a minority of digital banking customers (1.9 million) who were experiencing problems. Presumably the rest of the customers will not know if they have problems until they go into a branch or get get their paper statements!

Reply to
alan_m

Apart from the production of babies. Still mostly DIY

Reply to
Andrew

Auto correct could cause embarrasment with that. DIY circumcision ?

Reply to
Andrew

Brian,

The major clearing banks have millions of accounts and their software has been amended and patched by so many people over the years that no manager would ever dare to try and rewrite from the ground up. The chance of overlooking something that is poorly documented but runs every night is an ominous possibility.

In the 80's I was at the Midland bank group treasury and they had critical systems running that relied on screen scraping the data from electrically unconnected but financially joined-at-the-hip systems that people were warned off touching.

It is easier to just keep paying huge amounts to IBM to upgrade the core processor and systems to ever faster machines and bigger disk farms.

Then all that is needed is to bolt an entirely separate online and web server on the front end to provide the interface, while the mainframe code is just modified to provide api's for the online servers.

This was how cable and wireless updated their VAX/Rdb/Decforms core billing systems to allow online access.

Reply to
Andrew