TRV question

TRVs seem to be available with pipework or just as the head. Does this mean that the heads are interchangeable between brands? I've got a couple of rads where closing the TRV completely does not appear to shut the rad down and want to just replace the heads.

I'd be planning to use Drayton TRV4.

TIA.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They don't all have the same fittings. I think you can get 'universal' heads with various adapters to fit different valve bodies. I certainly wouldn't assume that a TRV4 head will fit your valves, although it *may*.

I think I've seen a claim from Drayton that each head is individually calibrated for the valve with which it is supplied, and that you shouldn't even swap heads between TRV4s.

You need to make sure that your problem *is* with the heads and not with the valves. The valves should have been supplied with 'decorating' caps which fit in place of the heads to prevent leaks when you remove the rads to decorate behind them. Have you got any of these? Do they close the valves completely. If not, the valves are at fault. If you haven't got any caps, try padding the heads by inserting a small metal disc such as a 5p piece above the pin, and see whether that then makes them close completely.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for that; I did look on the wiki but although it mentions TRVs there's not that level of detail.

Right. It sounds like I'd better consult our village plumber who is coming to replace our kitchen over the summer. We can live with it until then. It doesn't sound like my notion of a quick replacement would be wise and anything more than that on a rad is beyond my pay grade.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My TRVs are adjustable for range by removing the head and rotating it to reset the zero point. I find that they won't fully close in summer unless I reset the range.

Reply to
Capitol

One thing to try is look at websites that make retro-fittable radio controlled heads. They will group their head fitting in terms of which brand valves they fit which should give an idea of which normal heads might fit which bodies?

Reply to
Bob Minchin