Translucent no more

Just saw a new advert for a company that builds solid insulated roofs onto conservatories. Is any consideration given by them to cutting off daylight to internal rooms?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

We have had one of those fitted in March and what a difference it has made. No longer do we get the extremes of temperature on sunny days and far less heat loss in the evenings. As far as loss of light you still have all the remaining windows of the conservatory so in our case the conservatory and t he room it is attached to have suffered very little light loss. What we hav e been able to do is have blinds fitted to reduce glare even more so I can comfortably type on this laptop without getting snow blindness. Obviously i t will be the room's performance in Winter that will be the real test but t here is enough evidence to indicate that heat loss will be far less than pr eviously experienced.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Sitting here in an all glass conservatory typing away easily.

Just fit roof and window blinds.

Reply to
dennis

Isn't a transparent/translucent roof an 'essential' element of a conservatory for planning purposes?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The people who did ours manufacture their own roof systems rather than use someone else's kit.

As far as putting up roof blinds? We looked into that 3 years ago and it wa s coming in at £3000+ just for the roof and it would not have done any thing about heat loss. The money was better invested in putting a proper in sulated roof on.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It actually makes quite a big difference to the feel having roof blinds. It reduces the radiation loses by a lot and having a good glass roof reduces the heat loss by conduction.

You must have a big conservatory to cost that much. My 15ft by 10ft roof was less than half that.

Reply to
dennis

if it is covering the only daylighting window it is against Building Regs.........and with a solid roof it becomes a porch and size is limited.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

It was, but I don't think it is any more.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker