Transformer

That IS what "Overall load regulation" IS by and large.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would that be for a resistive load like a filament bulb, or for a FWR smoothed by a big capacitor?

Reply to
Fredxxx

either, although small reservoirs will show less regulation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lets get this straight. A transformer of 100VA will generally be specified to have a load regulation of 10% from zero to full load.

Attaching a FWR and capacitor filter, the regulation of the DC output will be far poorer than 10% at full load.

Reply to
Fredxxx

====snip====

Better late than never. I just thought the OP might appreciate a fuller treatise on the problem of using an ex-lighting transformer to drive a PM DC motor. As far as I can see, the OP hasn't yet offered any further details about the motor or its likely loading so, unless he seeks further clarification, there's nothing more to be said on the subject.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

The OP had no rectification in place, that's why I think DC motor wasn;t working rather than the amount of voltage.

I don't believe these were the issues.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Brian et al had moved on from there. Otherwise agreed.

Not with the OP, but they were issues associated with the sub-thread.

Reply to
Fredxxx

That does depend on the size of the DC motor, you are indeed right regards chopping frequency for medium and large DC motors as per:

What that article goes onto confirm, is that the chopping frequency is chosen to be high enough to provide a near constant DC current which was the point of my earlier post on the 18/03/2016 14:47

Reply to
Fredxxx

*IN THAT APPLICATION*,
Reply to