Toughened glass shelves

near enough? They have others.

Thanks for the suggestion but it's only 200 deep and the absolute minimum depth I can cope with is 300, preferably a little more. They do have one with a curved front but it's only 240 deep at max.

Reply to
NoSpam

Probably not if you want to shine LEDs through it.

Reply to
Bruce

Ever thought of sticking 2 together?

Reply to
Bruce

Lam is particularly weak. If you want the safety effect on the bits holding together when broken, which is all laminated offers, then plain glass with a safety film on the underside would be much stronger.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Have you considered Perspex?

Reply to
Bruce

Why not redesign the unit so the rear portion is wood? Then you have somewhere to hide the wires and can recess the LEDs into it better. Something like two uprights with slots cut into it for the glass and a wooden infill between about 100 mm deep to support the rear of the HiFi?

Reply to
dennis

My initial idea was to build something like this

so an in-fill would not be possible, unless the top of the wall bracket spanned the in-fill - I could weld-up something but I don't think the result would look elegant. Having failed to find standard shelves and discovered the cost of custom shelves I had moved-on to exactly what you suggest. The amplifier is about 400mm deep (including cable space) and the outer edges of the feet are 300mm apart, so realistically the minimum glass depth is 300mm. I've just noticed that the Ikea ÄNGA shelf is 10x550x300 (for £14.68) but has a metal strip on the short edges - I'll buy one and see if I can easily get the metal strip off.

Reply to
NoSpam

Could stick 2 together

Thinking outside the box a bit again Dave, might something like this be of any use ?

Arfa Daily

A good try Arfa - thanks! I've had a look at a couple of similar things but they're all too wide.

But - I think it's solved. There are three possible solutions now (if anyone cares): the metal edging comes off the Ikea Anga shelves fairly easily (and the edges are polished) so for £15 that's an easy answer, or I got quite a good quote from ARB glass in Southampton (much cheaper than anyonen else). However, when I looked more closely at the Anga shelf it comes with a sliding bracket so I think I can bolt this to a bit of vertical angle (suitably painted/covered) and end-up with adjustable depth shelves.

Thanks for all the suggestions. As you were chaps!

NoSpam

Don't suppose you're still looking, but I did notice in Homebase some

12mm thick glass shelves, I think 600x300 and 500x200 but can't see them on their website.
Reply to
Andy Burns