Bedroom Arts & Crafts Towers Finished

I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

362 seperate pieces of wood including 136 floating tennons. Where floating tennons were not used stub tennons and slots were cut to connect all other pieces and for the frames of the drawer fronts. door fronts, and side panels.

No screws except to attach the slides, drawer fronts and handles, door hinges and latches, and to attach the bottom feet to the main cabinet.

Reply to
Leon

Superb fit and finish. You're making a lot of us look bad. *S*

Reply to
Robatoy

Nicely done! Can I assume most if not all of those floating tenons were Domino cut and installed? If so, I was wondering how strong a joint you get on a 90? joint with 3/4" plywood? I'm asking about pulling the joints apart, not flexing the 90? join to break the tenons.

After all, you're cutting a mortise for a floating tenon that's less than 3/4" deep. Obviously, you don't want to blast through the plywood. I think I read it was something like 9/16" deep. Have you done any personal testing in this area?

Reply to
upscale

Superb fit and finish. You're making a lot of us look bad. *S*

Thank you sir, there are a couple of tweaks I need on the doors, they don't shut where I think they should but I can fix and live with that. :!)

Reply to
Leon

Thank you !

Can I assume most if not all of those floating tenons

Well the domino cut the mortises, "I" glued and slid the domino tennons in. ;!)

If so, I was wondering how strong a

90 degrees? I suspect very strong. I dont want to do it as I use the smallest 5mm x 30mm Domino tennons on every thing including the face frame on the front, I think I could stand on the rails. there are 4, 3/4" plywood fixed shelves from top to bottom. 2 tennons in each side of each shelf. The towers were very ridgid with the hollow front and back panels.

In this project all of the tennons mortises and tennons were in the edge of the 3/4" plywood. No testing done but there are much larger tennons 10mm thick and about 50mm long. Those should suffice on most any furniture project. either way I'd feel comfortable in saying much stronger than a biscuit and stronger than a pocket hole and screw.

Reply to
Leon

SHOW OFF!!!

BTW, nicely done.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

LOL!

Thank you Lew.

Reply to
Leon

Not to be a pain in the ass but could someone post these pics on something like "photobucket" or something similar. I can't get abpw through my server. Thanks

Reply to
evodawg

evodawg wrote in news:hb4pp4$uqq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Have a look here:

was the first result on Google for "alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking". You may find other sites you like better.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Very nicely done, Leon. Nice indeed.

And like "r" said, you are making some of us look a little bad.

Please tell me that was for a client, and not for you. I always tell Kathy it is cheaper to go to a good furniture store!

And I must say... I don't think there is anyone that has put their Domino to more frequent or good use. When you use it like you do, the price of the tool seems very affordable.

Once again, nice work.

P.S.: If this is in your house, be kind to your friends (not Swing - he can defend himself in these matters! ;^) ) and don't tell their respective significant others you made the towers yourself. I can see potential problems for many, many weekends for other woodworkers!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thank you Robert.

Well they are not perfect but I like the over all effect. ;~) I like all the shadow lines.

OK, they are for a client. NOT! Sorry, they are for us.

If nothing else it has paid for it self in saved time. And I don't hesitate used a mortise and loose tennon any more.

Thank you again rovert, I appreciate your kind words.

I have to tell them and my neighbors, thay are my customer base. LOL.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah but, he has to move them into the bedroom, so there!

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

You're making some of us look bad, and some look terrible.

Lovely work, sir.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Thanks again

Reply to
evodawg

Thank you, you are tooooo kind. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Go take a look at Moving Day for the Towers in a.p.b.w. ;~0

Reply to
Leon

a b p w - What is that? For one, I would prefer a link. I realize everyone else knows about a p b w and fully expect scorn a derision, but thought to make the observation regardless. (;

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

scorn, derision and all that other stuff... Just so you know, binary newsgroups aren't viewable through Google so you'll have to search out a different server or source if you want to view those images.

Reply to
upscale

SFWIW:

Astraweb is serving me well.

Based on my usage so far, the 180G for $25 package should last me about 50 years, so there is little chance I'll use it all.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yea, Leon... get yourself a Photobucket account..free/cheap/easy.

Reply to
Robatoy