New soil stack

Hello,

I'm going to fit a new soil stack for an en-suite that I'm installing. I'm not sure how I should tap into the current inspection chamber which is about 2 metres away from where the new soil stack entwrs the ground.

Do I have to replace the inspection chamber in order to add the additional waste pipe?

Thanks

Reply to
tvmo

It'll be notifiable work so you might want to check with the building control officer what they'll require.

Reply to
YAPH

What sort of inspection chamber is it - is it built of brick, or one of these pre-formed plastic jobbies? How deep is it?

As others have said, you need to consult Building Control at your local council to find out what they want you to do. You usually have to join in new soil stacks at invert level (i.e. the open channel at the bottom) - so if it's deep (mine are 2 metres!) you either need to dig a very deep trench, or go in through the side higher up and then take a pipe vertically down the inside. You can't just 'dump' solid waste at high level because it will pile up in the bottom and cause a blockage.

Building Control will also tell you what you need to do with the top of the stack. You may need to go up through the roof with an open vent at the top, or you may get away with just an AAV (air admittance valve) without going out through the roof.

And, of course, you'll have to pay Building Inspection fees whatever happens!

Reply to
Roger Mills