downstairs toilet - digging up floor for sewer

I will have to dig up my solid kitchen floor to add a soil pipe for understairs loo. 1920s end terrace, solid brick walls. I would be digging within 3 meters of party wall. Party wall act required ? Any idea what I'll find down there in that type of age house ? Will I end up in a living nightmare ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You might want to check with the local water company about whether you are entitled to tap into the soil pipe.

We recently had our ground floor bathroom gutted and a new bathroom / steam room installed.

In the original plans I wanted to move the toilet to the other side of the bathroom. However, the bathroom installers said that would mean moving the soil pipe in the floor. They said only the local water company can move the position of the soil pipe.

Graham

Reply to
graham

:) (Sorry!).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Graham,

I suspect that was some sort of "I don't want that job so I'll spout a load of bulls**t to put him off" thinking here with the bathroom installer. ROTFLMAO

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

We've just moved our soil pipe. Only the council are interested - they need to inspect the works.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 19:13:00 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@dircon.co.uk randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Then they've either never installed a toilet before (in which case how good can they be), or they only want to do the job they want to do (in which case how reliable can they be).

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I'm doing an extension at the same time that will involve drainage/sewer groundwork, so I would do the loo at the same time. I believe they do a pressure test of some kind to ensure there are no leaks. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Well, the inspector came, looked at how the new drainwork (plastic) was coupled to the existing drain (clay) and after a brief discussion agreed that the existing clay pipework wouldn't be likely to pass a pressure test and said he was satisfied and the hole could be filled in. Bizarrely, although our new soil stack was already in place, pipes and all, he said he wanted a pressure test on the above ground pipework by plugging the soil stack below the inspection chamber with an air bag. I say bizarre because as far as I'm concerned, any leak there will be immediately noticeable (and fixable) and a pressure test is going to be interesting because of all the pipes currently feeding into the stack.

We'll call him back soon to do that.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews