Glass shelves

Need some toughened glass shelves made to order. Happy to collect in the London area. Any recommendations as to the best value supplier?

Using an online calculator from one place suggests a price of approx £400.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can't help with London area but a while ago I got some 35in x 10in x

5mm toughened glass to use as shelves from a local glazier for about £50. Kowing what I know now I'd see if I could get them a little thicker if I was doing it again as they do sag slight under the weight of CDs. I'd suggest looking for a local back-street glass merchant. The firm I used had a website but had to be emailed for a quote.
Reply to
Peter Johnson

I had some toughened, smokey shelves with radiused corners and milled edges from Prad Glass, happy with them, sizes were spot on.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I didn't shop around as I needed somewhere local I could carry my shelves back from. They cut a mirror to order and drilled some 6 or 8mm holes in it for me.

Email and phone .

Reply to
whisky-dave

A little while ago I had 3 glass shelves made. About 1400x150x10. Polished all round. Had to be precise fit. Cost ?75. More recently I had a glass table top made to template. About 1015x915x8. This was a b*gger. Not a straight edge or a square corner. They made a fantastic job of it. Cost ?110. Supplier was Windsor Glass Co., not too very far from W. London.

HTH Nick.

Reply to
Nick

J. Preedy & Sons Ltd (Stanley Works),

7b Coronation Road, Park Royal, London NW10 7PQ

Tel: +44 (0)20 8965 1323

Reply to
DJC

Thanks for the tips - looks like I'll have to phone round for the best price.

I'd like to have spacers between the two glass shelves. To stop things like books falling over. Something like a SS rod every 200mm or so works well enough. Easily done with wood - but how about glass? The idea used for the legs on a table etc would be fine - but can you get the same idea in say 12mm?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

in particular

DJC

Nothing there even remotely like I'm after.

What I'm thinking of would involve drilling holes in the two shelves and having a vertical rod in say SS between them. If you've seen the way they make glass TV tables etc, the same idea as the legs only say about 12mm in diameter

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Alternative might be to use glass as partitions on the shelves. Perhaps 'floating' between them - ie with a gap top and bottom. But how to fix them to the wall behind? Plenty of shelf fixings on offer - but would they hold a vertical piece? And they seem to be made to look good from the top, so not so good side on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ugh:

"Sooner or later, the time will come, when you need to take the less taken route"

Sheesh - where's Robert Frost when you need him!!??

Jon N

Reply to
jkn