TOT Replacement(s) for TCP Ointment (2023 Update)

The Bayer version of Germolene smells the same as the original. It uses the same compound methyl salicylate. Where it differs from the original is the base which is now a water based emollient cream which means it rubs in more easily. However it doesn't cover up spots. The new formulation also adds chlorhexidine gluconate - so it's more effective and maintains the phenol so that it acts as a local anaesthetic.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In my opinion, there is nothing as good as TCP OINTMENT and I can't figure out why it's no longer available. Lots of people want it, so why isn't it produced any more? "The world's gone mad!" I can't source it anywhere.

Reply to
saltycarol

Germolene is still available and pretty potent stuff.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've found some UDP cream if that's any use ;-)

Graham.

I've never used either and yet, somehow, I'm still alive (and responding to three year old threads). ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

We're replying to an old thread, but never mind :-)

Never seen TCP ointment, but the original liquid seems to be widely available, at least via eBay.

Takes me back. My Mother always carried a small bottle of TCP on holiday in such exotic locations as Cromer, Ventnor and Ilfracombe. Beneath the screw off top was a little black nipple or stopper. Lose that, and the top never sealed again.

Reply to
News

Ahh. I was looking for the best play on words

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't shout that too loud, they'll discontinue it if you do!

Reply to
mike

I am using a tube of TCP ointment which has a best before date of 2008. It still works and still stinks.... I am still looking for and trying, alternatives - nope, nothing has ever worked as well as the stinky stuff - not for me anyway. Cheers

Reply to
Alan Roberts

I've heard it said that because urine has antiseptic properties that it is manufactured from ...

Tom Cats' Piddle (TCP)

Reply to
gareth evans

might help to tell us what condition. Otherwise there's any number of antiseptics & some antifungals out there.

Reply to
Animal
2018? Brian
Reply to