TOT Replacement(s) for TCP Ointment (2023 Update)

The original Germoline had a distinctive strong "medicinal" smell, and was pale pink in colour. And came in a flat tin.

Smelly Germoline was a bit of a badge of honour, in that you were seen to be battling through an injury. Actually I quite liked the smell.

Tincture of iodine was another one... Applied by the headmistress at primary school when you fell down and grazed your knee in the "yard".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Ahh, I remember that stuff... I didn't know it had been changed.

You can always revisit it by drinking some root beer (or maybe that's just the way my head's wired up :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yer actural Cockney rhyming slang Farmers =3D Farmer Giles =3D Piles

Reply to
Chris Holmes

AKA the Chalfonts...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
Lobster

Apparently in India they have an over-the-counter magic powder which everyone uses; a mate went on holiday out there recently and developed a nasty case of gravel rash after being knocked off a scooter, and this stuff sorted him out in double-quick time. He meant to bring some home but forgot: pity, I'd be fascinated to know what it was. I'll bet it wouldn't get past the UK regulatory authorities, anyway!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Between the wars, a relative of my lady friend made a medicinal ointment that apparently smelt terrible. He spent ages trying to make it as effective, but without the smell. When he succeeded, sales plummeted as people thought it couldn't be the same and he had to reintroduce the original formula.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

popular, and is relatively nontoxic. You can buy it in many brand names, including hibisol etc. Or you can diy and make your own. 10% household bleach is very effective on intact skin, more so than any commercial product out there, its particularly broad spectrum, and deals with infections the others fail to.

Alcohol wipes are as effective as bleach and easier to carry with you.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

He probably strayed off a footpath:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What is in the tube in front of me is exactly that. pnk, smelly .

It no longer comes in tins though, thank god. The tins were dire. Too easy to smash the lid down and have to use wire curtters to open it.

As I said, it still exists. Well Germolene does. if not Germoline.

That's still available IIRC.

what's vanished recently is 'milk of magnesia'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I hope so. It is a staple of my first aid kit.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Probably opium and cocaine mix. :)

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The demands of war, old boy.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I too liked the smell. Also the fact that it covered up spots. Is there another pink ointment available, or do I have to embarass myself researching the world of cosmetics?

-- Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

why not use the original?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because I don't have any left, and I don't know where to get some more.

-- Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

Pink Grip?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I posted an online source FFS! google it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oboe?

Reply to