TOT Generation game

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

Reply to
alan_m

They owe Giedroyc & Perkins a 'vehicle' for not going to C4 with Bake-Off ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

And there're two hours of Larry Grayson on ITV starting soon.

I wonder which of Mel and Sue are playing Larry and which Isla St Clair?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Beeb is in full panic mode over opening up accounts to public scrutiny

Expect low cost drivel in bulk

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Whilst I quite enjoyed it the first time round there is no way I'd watch it again, *especially* when hosted by those two.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Plus lots more cookery programs.

Reply to
harry

I suspect that this time the drivel has been very expensive. From what I've read today it appears that the BBC filmed 4 episodes of the Generation Game but only 2 were fit for transmission.

Reply to
alan_m

It will still be shit. As are most TV programmes.

Reply to
ARW

Its in my opinion, all in the way its done, ie the personality of the presenters. Nothing wrong with the format, but often a lot wrong with the way they try to make remakes. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But Isla could also sing and had talent. ahem... I saw Larry and he was very very funny. Nobody makes them like that any more. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It allows a new generation (pun intended) of presenters to make arses of themselves and show how crap they are compared with Bruce Forsyth.

Reply to
NY

With nostalgia, people tend to remember the 5% of the good bits and forget the 95% of the rubbish. The show's format was dated 20 or 30 years ago and should have been put down for good at that time.

As for presenters who can make a sows ear into a silk purse, it's difference between someone who learnt the craft the hard way in front audiences who would tell them where to go and had mastered the art of the humorous put down and celebrity presenters who just seem to appear from no-where after failing to be comedians.

Is it just me that when watching a celebrity edition of a program I don't know who any of the celebrities are?

Reply to
alan_m

The format of most game shows is utter crap. The Generation Game was a cringe-making as the rest. What made the difference was the Bruce Forsyth made his role of host look dead easy, and was good at putting the contestants at their ease and making fun of them in a way that got you on the contestant's side, rather than making them look idiots.

The more effortless it *looks* the more of a skill it *is*.

No, I'm just the same. A lot of them are famous only for being famous.

Reply to
NY

It's just one of several old progs that's being 'rebooted'. The production companies are going through a phase. It'll be westerns in the summer.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Nothing to do "medja experts" whoever they are.

The decision will have been taken by accountants. The big stars of programmes like GG are members of the public who may or may not make fools of themselves. Who apart from any prizes and travelling expenses cost very little.

Whether it happens to be to your taste of not sufficiently large numbers of joe public like watching their fellow members of the public making fools of themselves, for such formats to be worthwhile. If its up against Ant and Dec then they've got their work cut out in any case. They might as well transmit the test card.

I assume this was on BBC1 on Saturday Night. To be honest with you anyone who expects either of the main channels BBC1 or ITV to broadcast anything challenging on prime time on Saturdays must have either been in a coma or in solitary confinement for the past

30 years. Both main channels are a bit of a dead zone nowadays, even more so on weekends.

There's a NewsGroup devoted to TV called uk.media.tv. misc which used to be quite lively but seems to be dying off a bit, which you might like to try.

michael adams

michael adams

I turned the TV on once and realised celebity big brother was on, before I managed to change channel. However, I think I got away with it, as I didn't recognise a single one of them...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"Pointless Celebrities" in Big Brother.

Reply to
PeterC

With Sue Perkins as John Wayne?

Reply to
Nightjar

Media expert, says it all really.

Reply to
newshound

So that's two episodes of Generation Game and two episodes of Generation Game: The Episodes We Couldn't Show (But Will Anyway As We've Already Paid For Them).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog