TOT Generation game

OMG, you watched it?

Whatever happened to whatever happened to the likely lads?

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

TV seems to be manipulated by the agents of a few "stars" in order to get them air time to pay tha fees of the management company.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

newshound wrote in news:W86dnWPMQ_fy51 snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

The agents have sold the BBC quotas of hours that must be filled by their clients.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Take two hours of material that should have been binned after the hitting the cutting room floor and make it into 6 hours of broadcast TV by dividing it up into 60 second clips and get celebrities to talk about each clip at length before showing it.

Get yet another 2 hours by endlessly trailing the programs in the weeks before broadcast.

Reply to
alan_m

The film version was on yesterday, I think.

Along with the three On The Buses films on ITVn (we didn't get them at Christmas, so they were due for their annual outing).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Because it is easy to fill a schedule slot with such stuff

Reply to
rick

I see that at 5.30 pm tonight both BBC2 and Channel 4 are featuring car boot sales (and neither programme is Flog It, Street Auction, Bargain Hunt, Dickinson's Real Deal, or Money for Nothing, all of which I suspect are of that ilk).

Never mind, there's Trust Me I'm a Vet, Supervet, Yorkshire Vet, Secret Life of the Zoo, and Animal House, all on today.

I'm waiting for the two genres to merge in Celebrity Taxidermy Challenge.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

As with all such unscripted game shows, it's only as good as the presenters and contestants make it. And you either like members of the public having themselves made to look like fools or you don't. We have enough making themselves look like fools on here without needing it on TV too. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They should move it to BBC4 HD. Those folks in London with a cheapo Group A aerial will not now actually be able to see it. :-)

Meanwhile in Sussex, Quest and couple of channels that I do watch have gone to transmitter group 29, which my cheapo group C/D aerial, tied up in the loft with some string is struggling with.

We're in the doldrums here. I have line of sight to Midhurst which is Group C/D, but the southern slopes of the village have properties with Group A or wideband aerials pointing at the IOW, about 42 miles distant, while the Northern slopes of the village have houses with Group A or wideband aerials pointing up stane street, the old Roman road to London.

A couple of houses trying to get the IOW or CP have sprouted log-periodic aerials, and one or two have those massive tri-boom jobs. One bungalow with line-of-sight to the south downs even has a log-periodic aerial in vertical mode pointing at the IOW.

Reply to
Andrew

Well, they tried resurrecting the Liver Birds, complete with grown up drug addict son. That didn't last.

'Still open all Hours' is a total waste of bandwidth.

'Friends' seems to have come back as Top Gear.

I think the broadcasters are too afraid to upset someone, so nothing is funny to anybody.

Reply to
Andrew

A log beam has a good DP and bandwidth, but is also low gain, so not much use on its own for low signal strength.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So true ... fond memories of "Minder" are best kept that way. Avoid the reruns at all costs ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Is there some lapse of copyright or something ?

What's My Line Juke Box Jury

Reply to
Jethro_uk

For me that makes the other two more intersting.

Reply to
whisky-dave

How about Porridge it's almost identical to the original virtually the same gags but updated a bit with mobile phones, I guess it's OK if you hadn't seen it all before with Ronnie Barker.

I thought they tried to remake Steptoe & Son but it was just Corbyn and abbot in a party political broadcast.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Mainly avoid the modern 'ironic' takes. Like Life on Mars vs Sweeney.

Reply to
Max Demian

Just remembered the Comic Strips "Detectives on the Edge of A Nervous Breakdown" ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

For once that is actually coherent and funny.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I swear by Justin Smiths Aerialsandtv.com web site for anything to do with aerials, but I have counted at least 8 log periodic aerials around the village and only one points towards midhurst, about 10 miles away.

Most still have el cheapo contract C/D jobs and about a third have 'digital' aerials.

Their log36 aerial has the benefit of no massive reflector so I could get it higher up in the loft. It's either that or an XB10K which seems to cover the range. For some reason there is no XB10E on ATV.com which is what I really need.

Reply to
Andrew

As there is no such thing as a digital aerial which, from your use of inverted commas, I assume you well know, could you enlighten us as to what these 'digital' aerials actually are?

(I would assume that the contract crap was sold under that guise as that's what seems to have happened elsewhere.)

Reply to
Terry Casey