TOT documents

I got car tax reminder today and noticed:

(For NI) A certificate of Insurance or cover note is needed [downloaded copies are acceptable, photocopies are not]

How would anyone be able to distinguish between a printed download and a photocopy?

Reply to
alan_m

In the UK, we have MoTinfo and AskMID websites. So anyone can go onto these to confirm status.

I would also imagine insurnace companies upload certificate PDFs for viewing by police et al. to confirm who is actually covered to drive as wella s the vehcile details etc.

Photocopies will not have corresponding PDFs though?

Reply to
SH

This is nothing to do with the Police - just the purchase of vehicle tax.

This seems to be for Northern Ireland only and when buying vehicle tax at a Post Office

Reply to
alan_m

In PDF's you can embed a digital "watermark"....

You can't photocopy digital watermarks....

Reply to
SH

Perhaps they mean one that was produced by the text of a document being printed against the spotty blotchyness often evident on photocopied documents implying no access to the original. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

<shrug?

The date?

I thought that the authorities nowadays know automatically whether a vehicle is insured?

Of course, its use might be covered by someone else's insurance, which might need to be proven by production of a certificate.

Reply to
JNugent

So when presenting a paper copy of a PDF at NI post office how are the counter staff going to read the digital watermark?

Reply to
alan_m

You obviously did not see some of the output from my laser printer before it had some consumer replaceable parts, and a clean :)

Reply to
alan_m

It's only NI - not the rest of the UK.

Reply to
alan_m

Fairly easy, I'd say. Downloaded PDF etc gives far sharper text printing than a scan. But both are equally easy to alter/forge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News