Shredding Documents - Alternatives?

I've got lots and lots of documents saved over time that have private information on them such as s.s. number, financial account numbers, name, address, etc.

In the past, I've taken them to a shredding place, but they have raised prices quite a bit.

Anyone do something else to dispose of confidential documents?

Reply to
RStreets

Years ago, I bought a crosscut shredder and nearly all of my documents, sensitive or not, go through there. That's one of the ways we did it in the military because including the non-sensitive documents serves to weaken the value of the shredded waste.

Having said that, banks near me tend to offer a shredding event at least yearly, not limited to their account holders. Perhaps there's a bank or other financial institution near you that does the same. Call around.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Know a farmer with a hammer-mill?? - or a good wood stove?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Seem like one a year or so TV stations do a publicity thing for that and do it free. Just saw one a few weeks ago.

Staples had coupons for 5 pounds free and $1/lb after. Try Googling, I found a couple of free places near me. Not to mention i have a shredder and keep up so never had a mass to do.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A burn barrel? One of the banks has a free shredding day once or twice a year with a mobile shredder in the parking lot. Anything like that in your area?

Reply to
rbowman

Burn barrel or fireplace?

Soak them in a trash can full of bleach and water for a week or so and stir them into paste?

I have a fire pit outside so it is easy for me. When we are having a fire, I just feed them into an established fire 50 pages or so at a time. They go right up.

It is easier if you just shred them as you go tho. I really only have this problem when I am cleaning out old records and end up with 1000 pages or so.

Reply to
gfretwell

$59.88

Wade Garrett

I just ordered a similar one at the same price yesterday from Walmart for my wife who is always shredding things in an old shredder which is failing.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I actually have two shredders- both left over from when I ran my business from a home office.

One is an old but fairly heavy duty 3/16" strip shredder which I use for big jobs and medium security stuff (old business records, etc.) and a slower but higher security cross-cut that I use for bank and investment stuff.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

When I was working I had to clear out an entire 4-drawer file cabinet of ancient records, sending them for 'secure disposal'. The next week (or month) I was asked for a specific document, the last copy of which I had just sent for destruction.

Shit like that leaves a lasting impression.

Laughable quantities. I've wondered about calling the mobile shredding companies and asking when a truck is going to be servicing a local business and then just adding in my bale of stuff, possibly at the same rate the business pays. I've wondered about this for a long time. Now I have two bales.

Reply to
The Real Bev

My wife will probably still use the other one and have two. The first one still works but sounds anemic.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That looks like a nice crosscut model at a decent price.

I especially liked one of the questions that was asked, down below the reviews:

"Is this shredder wireless or does it need to be plugged into a wall outlet?"

Hmmm, a wireless shredder? How would that work? LOL

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Ask and you shall receive.

Dean Hoffman

A jimmy 371?? or an old continental red seal? -o - or a flat belt or PTO to the old 44 Massey - or on a smaller scale a VG4D Wisconsin??

Reply to
Clare Snyder

"or does it need to be plugged into a wall outlet" had me thinking along a different line.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

OK, so maybe WiFi wasn't what they had in mind. I stand corrected.

Reply to
Jim Joyce