Deodorant alternatives

I've never got on well with deodorants, and have generally never needed or used them. The more I use them the more I find I need to be deodorised, so I avoid them (I think it might be because they block the pores or something like that). I sweat as much as anyone else, but it usually doesn't smell stale. Sometimes it does have an unpleasant whiff, which is hard to shift. Thorough washing with soap and water often doesn't seem to help much.

I've started using TCP (rubbed on with a little wad on of cotton wool) on those days when I think I'm likely to get hot and sticky, and so far it seems to be efficacious, even if I do smell a bit disinfected at times. Are there any alternatives? I've heard rubbing alcohol mentioned, but I've no idea what it is or where to get it form.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I've found that using antibacterial soap helps. I'm using a reasonably pleasant one that I bought in Sainsbury's - Cidal. Might be worth a try.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , D.M. Procida writes

I've been using Pitrok for several years now. It's a crystal rock which you apply to wet skin. It claims not to block pores but to create an environment unpleasant for the whiff-producing bacteria. It certainly seems to work for me. It's available from health food stores and from their web-site

It's also available as a spray but that seems less effective.

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

It doesn't for me :-(

I sweat a lot and smell a lot. I use deodorants made by men in white coats and they work.

Thorough washing (i.e. soaking and and rinsing) and wearing absolutely clean clothes every day works.

I have a daughter who's even worse. She reacts to chemical deodorants and says that washing doesn't help - but she wears the same clothes for more than one day which I'm sure contributes to the whiff.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Me too. Though I will admit to recently finding the discovery of Safeway own-brand deodorant, at 49p each very welcome. I can tell no functional difference between this and the 2.50+ ones, once the perfumes of both have worn off in a couple of hours.

This is where genetic engineering could be really handy. Pit bacteria with a floral scent. One application, and you smell good for life.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Simple lesson on B.O.

Sweat doesn't smell!

It's the bacteria that feeds off sweat that starts to grow after around

14 hours or so.

So, to stop stinking and making everyone around you feel like vomiting when you exude your pungent stench, take your shower in the morning, not at night.

That way, you are not smelly during the day when you are going to meet people; and who cares if you start to pong later in the evening, you'll be at your smelliest while you're asleep.

As for wearing yesterdays sweat soaked clothes, is it any wonder they reek like skunks rectum... sorry, "oudour glands" this is the 21 century, people have things like automatic washing machines and tumble driers. there is absolutely NO reason for wearing the same clotes day after day.

Perhaps they should teach elementary personal hygiene at schools along with english and maths!

HTH

Reply to
Pet

Safeway is now Morrison.

Reply to
IMM

That's the only good use for gm I've heard ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No! Realy?

Well I never.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"D.M. Procida" wrote | I've started using TCP (rubbed on with a little wad on of | cotton wool) on those days when I think I'm likely to get | hot and sticky, and so far it seems to be efficacious, even | if I do smell a bit disinfected at times. Are there any | alternatives? I've heard rubbing alcohol mentioned, | but I've no idea what it is or where to get it form.

"Surgical Spirit" from a chemist. They may look at you suspiciously if you buy it in the same sort of quantities that some people buy mineral water (they assume you are buying it for imbibing).

I've just compared the ingredients of my Tesco Deodorant Body Spray vs Sure. The body spray is (*ane propellants aside) alcohol denat, water and parfum. So it's basically nice-smelling alcohol, with none of the aluminium chlorwhatsit that sticks to skin and clothing. I suspect it would be more acceptable than TCP which, despite its undoubted utility in the antiseptic department, might be unflatteringly compared with sheepdip so far as aroma is concerned.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , D.M. Procida writes

Good sentiments IMHO

I don't have a problem.

I can't speak for those around me

Are you being oversensitive?

It might be worthwhile asking other people who are in relatively close contact with you for an honest opinion, you could also ask them if you smell

Reply to
raden

I trust that smellnet will be banned when it arrives in line with binaries pooooooooooo

Reply to
raden

In message , Pet writes

What each June 23rd?

I can't see the difference whether it's morning or evening

Who cares?

Good - I'll send you my clothes to wash

No, maybe we need a sense of proportion here

Reply to
raden

Mary, by gum it is. That cheapo will disappear.

Reply to
IMM

Oh Maxie! Spherical people sweat and smell a lot. Everyone knows that.

Reply to
IMM

If you're a student then yes, probabally just the once is all you'll manage, but don't worry, the rest of your student chums will smell just as bad and no one will be any the wiser.

Which part of "You start to stink after 14 hrs" don't you understand? Of course, if you work night shifts, then shower in the evening BEFORE you go to work. thats WORK! Something, like personal hygiene, you may not be familiar with.

not me, not as long as I never have to be around you during the day.

You ARE Student!

Well, I'm 6'2" weigh 15 stone and don't smell,

Reply to
Pet

In message , IMM writes

Don't come to me with your problems

Reply to
raden

Unfortunately, this is one case where I agree that this is likely. The acceptable cheap orange juice they did has already gone out of stock, replaced by the horribly plasticy 'robinsons'.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

As long as you don't try on my clothes after you've washed them, who cares?

Reply to
raden

If you were around your smelliness would be a problem, so buy a couple of gallons of anti-spherical person spray. Better still buy a vat of it.

Reply to
IMM