Deodorant alternatives

All of which reminds me of the Swedish pharmacy sketch (can't remember who did it) but requires to be read with Swedish accent:

Customer: "I would like some deodorant please"

Pharmacist: "Ball or aerosol"

Customer: "Neither. I want it for under my arms"

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Morrison's isn't exactly up-market.

Reply to
nog

I'm not bothered about the smell of TCP - it's pleasant enough - but I would like the option of not smelling of it.

There are people around me who don't need to be asked, including one whose sense of smell has been at science-fiction levels of sensitivity ever since she was pregnant eight years ago...

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

It was Alas Smith and Jones.

(I think it was actually "I want it for my armpit"; the rhythm works better with the accent)

I always did like that one. Thanks for the memory!

Reply to
Peter Twydell

No, but they seem to be killing off some safeway lines.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Morrison does sell the excellent Orchard Grove organic orange juice which is the only one we drink and has a far superior flavour to anything else we've ever tried. Yes, it's expensive but you get what you pay for - food is the last thing to economise on.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, I think parachutes are the last thing to economise on. Or aircraft maintenance.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

You're both wrong - it's toilet paper. :^)

Reply to
nog

It's not downmarket either.....in quality.

Like most, if not all. Most supermarkets have similar lines anyway. It is a matter of getting the cheapest of the big supermarkets, and Morrison's is the cheapest. Most people only go to the local big supermarket, so location determines where most people shop. If the local is a Morrison's then you are lucky.

Reply to
IMM

Only if you use them. We have to eat.

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The rubbing alcohols that I have come across have been West Indian - Bay Rum and Alcolada.

Ran out of Bay Rum ages ago, but still use the Alcolada Glacial occasionally after shaving (yeah, I know, it's reckoned that astringents should be avoided, but by god they work...). They're a bit fierce, but hey, some people pay good money for pain like that!

Don't know where to get them here (got mine in Dominica a few years ago) but I'm sure I have seen them in shops that sell a lot of W.I. produce.

Reply to
RichardS

It's a dreadful place. I looked in a Safeway recently and almost all of their own brand of quality items had been removed and replaced with cheap Morrisons branded rubbish - they now have two cheap brand lines. The "fresh" produce, which was not great at Safeway, is now abysmal.

The car park, which used to be quite full, is now practically empty most of the time as people have voted with their feet.

You are?

Fortunately I have four alternatives, all of whom continue to have their own quality lines as well as a broad selection of national brands.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not sure I'd completely agree.

The safeway concentrated orange juice was acceptable, to the extent that I'd often get through 1-2l/day (made up).

There is a threshold at which I'd rather not have something, and just eat potatos (or whatever) if the quality is too bad.

For example, there is an excellent local pie shop, that does a puff-pastry large steak pie. Aldi do one for half the price, but it doesn't compare. I'd much rather have the really nice one half as often.

For some things, I don't appreciate the difference. For example, you can trivially find a factor of 2-3 difference in price on various sorts of potatos, for the same variety. If they aren't rotten, and are in reasonable condition, there isn't usually a 2-3 times difference in taste.

For some things, tomatos for example, carefully selecting among the cheaper lines can often get you a taste approaching the more expensive ones.

Buying on lowest price alone is not generally a good idea - but neither is buying solely on highest price.

And sometimes, public perception does not match your own. For example, occasionally I'll see the shop-stackers disposing of 'overripe' banannas, and purchase a carrier-bag full for pennies. Yumm.

Brown patches on the skin - as long as there is no bruising or frosting that caused it, mean that the bananna is really, really tasty. Of course it will rapidly go mushy if not kept in the fridge, but I like them so much that that does not happen.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Agreed. I didn't say that it was - I said that food was the last thing to economise on.

Quality is more important than price no matter what.

We - the Fishers - will economise on clothes, car, leisure activities and almost anything you can think of - but not food and drink. Eating and drinkiing well is far more important to us than anything else, we spend a lot of time on it and it is, after all, what makes us.

So saying, our food bill is probably less than most people's because we grow much of what we eat, make a huge proportion and buy most other things directly from producers. That way we KNOW the quality even though I suspect that we pay less than we would if we shopped in supermarkets.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hi,

You probably don't economise on food because you can afford not to. I'd rather eat cheaper food than shiver in the winter because the heating is too low, I'd even eat cheaper food than have poor bedding and seating and end up with permanent back pain.

As for quality getting the last 5% of quality available can be quite expensive and not always necessary.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I know of Lidl, Aldi and Netto, who is the other one?

Reply to
Scorch

Our income is far less than the national average.

You can put on more clothing, as we do.

?

We only sit at the table, at mealtimes - and at the computer. Our other chairs are redundant except for family occasions.

Not if you grow/make your own and buy direct rather than making more profits for the already rich.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No it wasn't it was "Not the 9 O'clock news".

Although I believe it featured Griff Rhys Jones as the chemist and Mel Smith was the customer.

IIRC, though my memory fades with time.

Reply to
Pet

In message , Mary Fisher writes