Top vs Bottom posting

In message , Dave writes

Try top posting in uk.rec.motorcycles and see how long it is before someone turns up at your door with a lead pipe

Reply to
geoff

And I always ignore top posted requests for information (unless it's an obvious newbie who doesn't know better)

Reply to
geoff

Yes, once I noticed how much quicker it was reading news without that particular source of input, I decided I preferred it that way. On balance, a bit of a bargain!

Hmmm.... A Gallows Pole?

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Lesson 1: How to use a keyboard for OE users ;-)

To move to the end of the message: Hold CTRL press END

There..... that was not so bad was it?

(having said that you will want to scroll through the message to snip all the bits that need removing!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Of course, the counter argument to that is that the cursor is at the top so that the poster can move down through the post to which he's replying snipping and interleaving as necessary.

I just don't buy the argument that the cursor's at the top so it's ok to top post.

Reply to
Wanderer

I don't buy the argument that you should top post because everyone else does. As my mother used to say "If everyone else stuck their head in the fire..." Or consider the American attitude to male circumcision. Just because a bunch of people do it, the rest follow like sheep.

The issue should be legibility not tradition. Not all of the bottom posters or snippers/interleavers on this group are the most easy to follow. Good communication, not good form.

Suzanne

Reply to
Suz