shower drain for tiled shower floor

Having done my research on tiled shower floors, I now know that we have to tank our bathroom with a shower pan liner sandwiched in a sloping mortar bed and use a clamping ring drain that will secure the shower pan, which allows water trapped in it to drain through the weepholes of these 2-part clamping drains.

One of my questions is -- if you got one of these clamping shower drains (like Oatey or Zurn, etc.), do you have to get a separate (P-/S-) trap to connect it to? Finding these shower drains is a pain in Ireland and the UK, where we are constructing the shower. The only make I've come across that is distributed in the UK and Ireland is Aco. (There is also Wade drainage but they do industrial-sized drains that seem overkill for a domestic place)

Aco has the Fulbora Shower Drain:

which has an integrated trap and clamping ring. It is also 5 times the price of, say an Oatey clamping ring drain in the States!

Aco also does a Micro Floor Drain:

but it doesn't seem to be a clamping-type drain even though the size suits our small bathroom better. Is this micro floor drain definitely unsuitable?

Does anyone know of other suppliers or makes of such shower drains in Ireland or the rest of Europe?

I've searched for weeks! Any leads appreciated

Gina

The link for the ACO you listed above makes it appear to have its own trap built in, therefore the side outlet. Just make sure it's pointed the right way in the joist bay. I can't see from the drawing how you would allow for the thickness of the secondary mortar bed above the membrane, but it may work that way.

The typical shower drains we use here don't have integral traps. They allow for a secondary mortar bed floated on top of the membrane (the tile is set to this bed). They have vertical outlets, so we install them and then go underfloor to pipe in a trap with ABS, cast iron, or copper pipe. Then the tilesetter starts floating mud.

Reply to
David Meiland