Tool name

I am after a tool to enable me to open up a rubber tube to put another piece in. The tool I have in mind has 3 needlenose pliers like jaws, 1 fixed and the other 2 move apart, and I thought it was called a spreader. Typing spreader into screwfix comes up with spreader clamps and grout spreaders.

Any clues?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Sleeve expander, used to be made by Hellerman.

They also have a rather rude nickname...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

MPJ

None at screwfix - I found some through Google, and the prices var from £28 to £50. Is there anywhere that has cheap ones?

I can guess what the rude nickname is...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Reply to
Bob Smith

Elastrator.

Reply to
Autolycus

Thanks, Frank. I have one in the garage but had no idea what it was called.

Reply to
Aidan

Couldn't you do the same thing with a couple of cheap circlip pliers and=20 an extra hand?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I have an implement which has another use but would do the job you want. It has the advantage of having four pins and will therefore open up the tube better than with just three. The following link (which I provide just to illustrate them) shows them for £6.75 + VAT but, if you have one nearby, they are obtainable at any agricultural merchant.

you can wince now. :-)

Reply to
Howard Neil

a speculum ?

Reply to
news

Dunno what the sleeve is made of? but if its pliable material? how about a pearl catcher...

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Never heard them called a sleeve expander! a "Hellerman tool" in polite company and tw*t stretcher otherwise ;-)

Reply to
Matt

Sleeve expander, used to be made by Hellerman.

"v*rgin urgers"

Reply to
Smudger

Pretty much - when you land a multicore cable on a bunch of tags, back of connectors etc, you put a sleeve over the end of the plastic outer where the conductors fan out.

It's a very tight fit, the tool stretches the elastic sleeve so it can be put on.

Advisable to do this before landing all the conductors.

I expect heatshrink has taken over.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

I did a Google for that word. I wish I hadn't.

Reply to
Aidan

Honeymoon tool. But by the amount they expand to called this by rather under endowed males...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Me too. And I have to share with the rest of the class that there is an S&M use for the rubber rings in Google too. Luckily it is above the belt though.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Thanks, I did a Google on "Elastrator" before, but did not think they would be so cheap. How long are the jaws? I would think they are only 3-4mm long. I was thinking about 1015mm would be what I need.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Honeymoon pliers...

Reply to
Andy Hall

The jaws on mine are 80mm from the pivot point and then turn through 90 degrees to form the four pins which are 15mm long.

I have tried to find a better illustration for you but the best I can find is:-

the right of the yellow tub is the applicator, with the jaws facing the bottom right corner. They have pictured it with the jaws open and a ring stretched around the pins. This might give you a better idea of what it looks like.

If you want any further info, just ask.

Reply to
Howard Neil