Where can I get rug grippers?

An advertising pamphlet fell out of my TV guide. Normally I throw it directly in the bin, but I browsed through it this time and saw these rug grippers, which you stick to the underside of a rug. The plastic 'teeth' then grip to the underlying carpet and help prevent the rug from moving or rucking, which is a mammoth problem. I am always bending down to pull the rug straight!

I can't remember ever seeing such grippers in the shops. Anyone else? (By the way, I don't want to pay the extortionate prices listed in the pamphlet! £6 for four bits of plastic is a rip-off; I want to pay around £3.)

MM

Reply to
MM

A box of carpet tacks are cheaper. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yes, if I wanted to nail down the carpet, which I don't. Try reading what I wrote if that's a help.

MM

Reply to
MM

I've not seen these.

There are a number of underlays which you can use between two carpets to prevent the top carpet moving. 'Foxy' is the name of one of these products.

Reply to
Michael Chare

A box of carpet tacks is still cheaper.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Leaving aside the side issue of carpet tacks (which are cheaper but not a solution etc., etc), MM did use the words "mammoth problem" and "£6" - seems a no-brainer to me! Probably spent £6 worth of time worrying about it :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The reason you won't find these in the shops are probably because they are a 'gimmick', walking over them will crush/break them, Rugs move when walking over them or when people catch there heel at the edge of the rug.

Try double sided tape at the edges if you don't want to tack it down, and even this will cease to keep it down eventually.

HTH

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The plastic is worth no more than 20p. The grippers will have been made by some firm or other, which will no doubt supply outlets on the high street where shops have to compete and thus charge a reasonable price. This is the sort of thing one would find in Wilkinsons or Woollies, but I don't have either of those local to me.

MM

Reply to
MM

It wouldn't be possible to crush them by walking over them because they would be fitted at the corners, which, being butted up against the skirting, would be unlikely to be trampled on.

But how do you remove double-sided tape from a carpet without pulling half the pile off? Let me clarify once again, the carpet is fixed. There is nothing wrong with the carpet. It's the rugs (latext backed ones) on top of the carpet that move and ruck up. It's the rugs I want to fix to the carpet, not the carpet to the floor.

MM

Reply to
MM

Do you happen to know how these products work? Maybe they also have tiny teeth or something similar.

MM

Reply to
MM

Superglue. Apply it carefully, or it will soak through the carpet, and stick it to the floor, which you apparently don't want.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They're thin pads of felt which have, effectively, a tacky non-drying adhesive on them (both sides). You might be able to create a similar effect with latex adhesive.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

================ Ask here for their technical advice:

Cicero

I know exactly what your on about. Go and pay £6 otherwise get rid of the rug.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Use single-sided sticky tape, and fix it to the floor with carpet tacks.

Reply to
Rob Morley

No. Shan't.

MM

Reply to
MM

Now that's an idea. A daft one, sure, but no worse than that Earl fellah's.

MM

Reply to
MM

of the stuff - great! Far better offer than £6 for four piddling plastic strips.

I shall dig out my credit card from wherever I last left it.

MM

Reply to
MM

Its double sided tape like I suggested. Tsk!

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's not daft, it's "thinking outside the box" :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley