Where can I get cheap gardening containers?

I cannot believe how much people are willing to pay for fancy and even not so fancy plastic containers for growing plants. Even with the high cost of petroleum, paying something over $10 for a flower pot seems excessive. I was just over at a nursery where they were willing to pay you $0.30 if you brought your 15 gallon plastic pot back to be recycled. They were not even willing to give a quote on how much they would charge to sell the for cash.

If you just want to grow some veggies of berries in a pot, how can you get containers at a reasonable price?

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Salmon Egg wrote in news:BFE34FBA.13D66% snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net:

What's wrong with just using cups? Get the cheap ones and poke drainage holes in them where needed. If you mess one up, you're only out a cent or less.

You'll have to provide your own dirt, but that's what potting soil is for.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Check with local landscapers, they always have plenty left. Also if you have a local college with a hort dept, they usually use new ones for their research projects and give the old ones away.

John!

Salm> I cannot believe how much people are willing to pay for fancy and even not

Reply to
GA Pinhead

I got a _bunch_ of 1 gallon pots for 15 cents each, used, from a local nursery. :-)

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

I pick 'em up from the side of the road when people put them out on trash day. Sometimes they still have plants in them that can be nursed back to health. Last spring, after one of our many late cold snaps, I picked up two that had frost burned and dead looking butterfly bushes in them. By May I was able to plant both a pink and a white butterfly bush over at my mother's.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Lanscapers may let you haul their used containers away.

If you don/t care what the bucket looks like, you can recycle the 5-gal plastic containers that once held kitty litter or house paint or cut the top off a 1-gal milk jug or a 2-litre soda bottle.

Another good source is the garden center in the fall when annuals are deep discounted to under a $1. I/ve bought the plant to get the pot.

Reply to
TQ

There is nothing wrong with using cups. I was thinking of 10, 15, or even 20 gallon pots for trees.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Salmon Egg wrote in news:BFE34FBA.13D66% snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net:

I live in SoCal and the 99 cents only chain has some square plastic containers regularly along with round red clay pots. Last year I got a large ceramic pot that was about 16 inches tall and about 14 inches across that beautifully holds a cinammon plant a friend gave me.

Reply to
Charles Quinn