Sunset Apple

Hi all,

I have a Sunset Apple tree that we have inherited with our new house. Its about five feet tall which, I understand from a few websites, is about the size they supply plants to start with. I am also told that pruned it should easily maintain a height of 6-8 feet (ideal for me in its position) or 12-15 if left untouched.

Then it mentions that the tree is on a rootstock of MM-106

I understand what they mean by rootstock but exactly what is MM-106 and where did the numbering system come from?

Reply to
Steve Newport

Hi Steve, The 'M' series of rootstocks derives from the East Malling Research Station in England. The original Malling-Merton 106 introduced by them in 1969 has since been mostly replaced with a more virus-free clone called EMLA 106. It results in a tree about 65% the size of a standard size. There are a whole series of these rootstocks including EMLA 7(55-60% dwarfing), EMLA 9 (30-40% dwarfing), EMLA 26 (40%), EMLA 27 (15-20% dwarfing, one of the smallest trees in this series), and EMLA 111 (75% and similar to the 106, but more vigorous). There are other rootstocks with this series naming like Geneva, which comes from a Cornell project. There are also more Malling versions that I have not mentioned. You can find a more complete list in the book Fruit, Berry, and Nut Inventory available from the Seed Saver Exchange or possibly a Botanic Library.

Sherw> Hi all,

Reply to
sherwindu