Toilet Unblocker

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of trying these for unblocking toilets:

or

The sensible option of trying to persuade my kids not to use half a roll at a time hasn't been very successful and I'm fed up of clearing partial blockages.

Reply to
Endulini

Change their diet :-)

Reply to
Scott

Some washing up liquid flushed down makes the pipes more slippery and the blockage more absorbant.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Have you tried an ordinary force cup?

Reply to
GB

+1 for the washing up liquid.

A bucket of warm water poured in at the moment of flush can often give the extra oomph required but be sure to calculate the relative volumes of bucket, bowl and flush beforehand -DAMHIKT

If all else fails. google single sheet toilet tissue dispensers.

Happy New Year

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I don't think I'd want to be cleaning either of those devices after use.

Get a grip on your kids. Making them unblock any problems they cause should work.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

A bucket of water violently dispensed normally does the trick (force = mass x acceleration)

Reply to
simon mitchelmore

getting hidden limescale out of the bog is the first prerequisite

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A mop covered in a heavy duty plastic sack, with cable tie.

Easily removed, inside out, and dumped in the bin.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Flexi wire works best IME, with an unravelled wire coat hanger doing well enough in an emergency.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The assumption being that the blockage is within reach and that you don't mind scratching the china or puncturing the seal sleeve.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It often does (the bend is the constricted part) and no, I've never damaged the pipes doing this.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@squidward.local.dionic.net:

Some houses have a very slow fall toward the vertical pipe. It is along here where stuff gets stuck and dries out.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Tim Watts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@squidward.local.dionic.net:

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, it's in a downstairs toilet and I have tried poking around with 2 meters of flexible cable with no luck. It does drain but rises alarmingly before draining. A couple of times I've noticed the water level disappearing back up the pipework before returning.......

Reply to
Endulini

"Endulini" wrote in news:4KOdnXZUv5XksPfFnZ2dnUU78b snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com:

Where does the pipe go to - straight into the ground? If so then find the relevant inspection chamber outside. You may do better rodding from there.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

IME, that means the inspection chamber where the WC pipe discharges is full of liquid so there's no free flow of air in the pipe from the WC, hence sucking out the WC trap as the water drains away.

It's probably not a blockage of the WC pipe, but something further downstream.

Did you remember to ask Santa for a nice new set of drain rods, gauntlets, and waders ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't buy luxury, padded, enhanced or whatever bog paper. Just stick to the plain stuff that Andrex make, it turns into mush much more easily so blockages are easier to deal with.

Reply to
Andrew

Goggles !!!!, and keep your mouth shut.

Reply to
Andrew

Maybe the toilet is not flushing away all successfully at the first attempt, and they are _then_ laying excessive paper on top to avoid offending the next visitor to the sight of the, err... um..

Make an announcement that a couple of 'vanity sheets' is sufficient and then put the lid down? And in the mean time find out what has decreased the ability to flush?

Or change their diets.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Tim Watts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@squidward.local.dionic.net:

Thanks again folks, one suggestion was that the blockage might be after the inspection chamber and I agree it would be a good idea to have a look at this. One question though (and this might be a bit naive) if the the blockage was post the chamber wouldn't I be seeing drainage problems with other systems too?

Reply to
Endulini