Toilet seat won't stay up

Just fitted a new toilet seat, and it's doing the same as this video I found:
http://youtu.be/PzG9lPMXtws

http://youtu.be/PzG9lPMXtws

Like theirs, the seat IS leaning back, so it's not the position that's wrong (although Ihave selected the forward-most point on the hinge setting).
Are looseats supposed to be cushioned movement like this, or is the hinge broken? I tried some light oil and some WD40, but it still won't stay up until I push it up about 5 or 6 times.
--
In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded.

I would say that it's faulty. I presume that it is meant to be a "soft close" seat hinge? If so, take it back.
Tim

I was given it by my uncle who was tidying out his garage. It's never been used, but it's been sat unused in the garage for years.
I can't see how soft close could possibly work. The idea is basically flawed. It's not intelligent, so it can't tell the difference between you lifting and lowering the seat. So the lift is also soft. Which means you can't lift it quickly as it tries to push it back. It'll stay up if you hold it up for long enough (about 10 seconds).
I've Heath Robinsoned it by swapping all the half hinges about causing both the soft ones to be on the lid, and none on the seat. For some reason the lid doesn't suffer from the same problem. I suppose it's tilted further back. Maybe that's the problem - the design of my toilet means that the seat cannot tilt quite so far back, even with the hinges set to the furthest point. It is a fair angle though, and I don't think I've ever seen a toilet seat which tilts further than this.
What's the point of soft close anyway? So it doesn't wake someone up when you drop it in the middle of the night? It doesn't damage a toilet seat to drop it.
--
Take some good advice: Never try to baptize your cat.

But it does. we have two at home and they're great.

Well it's clear that yours is flawed. Mine lift easily with a just perceptible resistance but there is no "spring back". The lids close softly when flipped towards the closed position.

Well that's one good reason. Another is that in general, the hinges are far better engineered than the usual "crap" offerings.
Tim

You like the soft closing aspect? For what reason?

Like kitchen cupboards? They only brake at the closing point? Maybe the mechanism isn't working right.

I'd prefer a well engineered standard hinge. I take it you can buy new hinges without buying a whole seat?
--
Definition of Necrophillia: That Uncontrollable Urge To Crack Open A Cold One.

Already covered. Standard hinges work loose, go out of alignment, rot and let the seat fall with a clatter. Why would anyone prefer them?

Nope. They close softly and smoothly though the full arc of motion.

Ours came with the seats. I've never seen them sold separately.
Tim

Why do you seem to think soft closing and quality have to go together? Surely you can get quality non-soft-closing ones?

Odd. I can buy door hinges seperately.
--
Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.

I don't *think* that they do, it's just my experience.

I quite like having a seat and hinges that match.
Tim

I've never come across this low quality hinge you're talking about.

I'm sure you can pick the right ones yourself. And to your own tastes.
--
"I'm wide eyed and witless" -- Ronald Tompkins, circa 2013

Really? Let me know when you find some soft close hinges sold without seats. I won't hold my breath though.
Tim

I was responding to you saying you bought them together so they matched. I was simply dismissing that you have to buy things together to make them match.
--
"Boy, will I give YOU a haircut!" said Tom barbarously.

Okay, show me where you can buy a range of soft close hinges to "mix and match" with any toilet seat.
Tim

Like I said, I have no idea what's available. I was simply disagreeing with your statement that you preferred to buy the hinge with the seat **so they matched**.
--
Due to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned
off until further notice.

Did it hurt you while you were drinking??

I've heard of a cat (and a 6 year old boy) doing that, but I've never considered drinking from a toilet bowl.
--
A Pakistani woman was sexually assaulted yesterday. Police are still trying to
find a motive.
"Major Scott" < snipped-for-privacy@spam.com> wrote in message

Not required if the seat stays up by gravity as most do.
--
Mistress: Something between a mister and a mattress.